Hillstream tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
A FTS:
DSC_0447-2.jpg
Did a WC and scrubbed the front wall. Looks cloudy in the photo but clear now.

Been getting emails about the percs. locally but mostly questions so I'm not sure I want to give them away to people who don't know how to care for them. Getting shipping supplies will most likely cost me around $20 unless I wait until spring or no heat pack needed weather to ship. Have green dot algae on the glass since I took out the nerites. I plan to add more rocks next to the intake once I get time to go to the lake to pick some up as I also took out the tiger lotus. Planning a 10g for my betta's permanent home where I can also grow some vallisneria to be move into this tank as I had his old home bare. The male percs. bite each other and females.

Finally saw a gast. on the powerhead. They usually stick to the glass walls or rocks. I rarely see them on the sand. A lot of fighting from them too. Reminds me of sumo wrestlers:) when circling each other and body slams.

I went to one of my LFS and found out they have some gastromyzons in stock. Even little baby gast. less than an inch. Was tempted to get 4 but no more room. Saw some cteno., I think ocellatus (which I've been looking for), and an unknown pattern for $5 each. They looked healthy but doubt they were quarantine/dewormed before put into the sale tank.

DSC_0447-2.jpg

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Yea at first I saw the cteno. and was like ok I already have some. Then was looking at the rest of them and it turns out it's mixed with the ocellatus and unknown pattern. I guess they all came in together. Frank mentioned that they usually get shipped mixed. I am tempted to go back but not sure if I want to add anymore loaches. Great price though. I just wish they get in some sewellias. This LFS usually gets in rare species depending on which week. Always something new.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Nice looking tank
Thanks!

Well as I was eating my breakfast, I heard a knock and found a box. Opened it up and look what I found:
DSC_0438-1.jpg
DSC_0439.jpg
More loaches for a late bday present. 2 sewellias, 2 cteno. I think, and a unknown which looks to be another cteno. but not too sure. Not sure what I am going to do with these loaches. I may have to either upgrade, have two separate tanks, or cut back my stocking. Glad I didn't get the loaches from the LFS.

Edit: Photos of some with the unknown one (I posted on loaches.com for an ID too):
DSC_0445-1.jpg
DSC_0442.jpg

DSC_0438-1.jpg DSC_0439.jpg DSC_0445-1.jpg DSC_0442.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Yea it was a big surprise but it means I need to get a bigger tank :). I'm unsure of where to put these loaches as my tank is going to be fully stocked once I add in the percs. I may have to move some in a new tank. Probably have a separate tank for the cteno. as I will have a total of 7.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Just get a 90 and you can keep those extra percs (not that I don't want them!)
I don't have room for a 90g! Haha, I wish I did though. I think I am going to only keep a pair or trio of the percs. and may have to give away some loaches if they don't work out in the tank. I plan to keep the sewellias though.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Belated happy birthday! Didn't you think about getting a 40g breeder recently? Now would be good, not much longer than a 20 but almost twice the footprint...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store