Crushed coral is a problem waiting to happen

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lallen

lallen
Feb 2, 2008
PA.
Thanks for help

I came on here today for the exact topic you wrote about. I recently went to a larger 55 gallon tank and was still using crushed coral. I've been vacuming the bottom of my tank every other day. Now I know what is the real reason for my mess.:wall:
Is there any problems with sand how quick does it get soiled and how oftem do you need to clean?:confused:
I will probally go to sand ASAP. I am having a tough time with brown algae and purple algaw on the large coral I have in my tank.:perv:

Thanks...

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I came on here today for the exact topic you wrote about. I recently went to a larger 55 gallon tank and was still using crushed coral. I've been vacuming the bottom of my tank every other day. Now I know what is the real reason for my mess.:wall:
Is there any problems with sand how quick does it get soiled and how oftem do you need to clean?:confused:
I will probally go to sand ASAP. I am having a tough time with brown algae and purple algaw on the large coral I have in my tank.:perv:

Thanks...
In reality, you sand should always stay clean providing you have the right ammount of flow in the tank, as the flow will stop particles / detrius from settling on the sand bed and be removed via filtration...Add to that a good cleanup crew, and WOLLA, a nice clean sandbed....

When changing your CC for aragonite sand, remember to do it in thirds, and not all in one go....and leave a couple of weeks in between changing the thirds.....Doing it this way will keep a nitrate spike to a minimum and allow for life to move into the new sand and start to re-colonise it...

Hope that helps...

Niko

Blossom112

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Toronto
iM SO HOPING YOUR HERE REEFSCAPE
i just called the store they have argonite 1/2 cm , not sugar sized grains ,is this ok ??
they also have live sand sugar sized grade ,
Which should i get ???
I have nothing inm tank so i can change the CC easily now
THANKS

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
iM SO HOPING YOUR HERE REEFSCAPE
i just called the store they have argonite 1/2 cm , not sugar sized grains ,is this ok ??
they also have live sand sugar sized grade ,
Which should i get ???
I have nothing inm tank so i can change the CC easily now
THANKS
Thats a very large grade sand, actuallly sounds like seafloor substrate....Personally, i would not use it, i think its far too larger grade sand for a reef...Sugar grade size for me...Maybe look at ordering it online perhaps??

Blossom112

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Toronto
OH thank you so much for being here .
We wanted to get the coral out tonight (hubbys home today)
so we plan to get something in for our cycling and later we will add the arg slowly .
So now we are off trecking through the snow storm to the pet store .
THANKS A BUNCH :)

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
In reality, you sand should always stay clean providing you have the right ammount of flow in the tank, as the flow will stop particles / detrius from settling on the sand bed and be removed via filtration...Add to that a good cleanup crew, and WOLLA, a nice clean sandbed....

When changing your CC for aragonite sand, remember to do it in thirds, and not all in one go....and leave a couple of weeks in between changing the thirds.....Doing it this way will keep a nitrate spike to a minimum and allow for life to move into the new sand and start to re-colonise it...

Hope that helps...

Niko
just a quick question on water flow, and pprobably a dumb one but here it goes. how do you achieve enough water flow to keep brown ( i think diatom ) algae from setttling on the floor. this is starting to happen in a couple areas of my tank ( 150 ga) and when i try to redirect my flow from my rio 2100 the sand blows around and creates low spots inthe floor. my flow consist of the 2 rio 2100 inside the main tank, a mag drive 2400 for my flow from a 50 ga sump to the main tank and a fluval fx5 with no filtration media. now another question on the fx5, i had read somewhere that i should use it with no media and just for direct flow, is this a good idea or should i be using some media in it and if so what would be a wise choice. i think i have enough pump action but the brown spots bother me. I have about 3-4 inches of live sand that has been in the tank now for just over a yr and about 200 lbs of live rock, i do have some cleanup crew crabs and snails but i am not sure about the number, how many would be a good amount for a tank my size. sorry for being a little long winded and thanks in advance for any help.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Personally I don't count flow from a return pump or a mechanical filter. The only flow I count towards the chaotic flow in the display tank would be from powerheads or a closed loop. In your case I'd want 1500-3750gph moved by those at a minimum (lower number for FO tank, higher is for reef).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store