Brackish Riparium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
grrrrrr I can't wait! What species are you thinking about doing right now?
Hey I got another quick picture here!

This is another really great mangrove species that I plan to use in the tank, white mangrove (Laguncularia racemosa). I currently have it going in my 11-4G riparium setup but it is growing fast and getting too big for that tank. It has these great paddle-shaped rubbery leaves.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Here's another view of that same white mangrove. I wish I had more of them. I started out with quite a few of the little propagules about a year-and-a-half ago, but I gave them away/sold them all.

This is a really cool plant. When I grow it in the brackish tank it will be important to remember to rinse the salt from the leaves every couple of days. Even growing in the freshwater setup it has salt accumulation on the leaves from the little bit of salt in our tapwater and the ferts that I add. You can see the salt as the little bit of glistening on the leaves.

Karma954

Say hi to Tweezy :D
Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
i want to do a mangrove brackish tank so bad! my question is, how long would it take to get a small "cage" effect of the roots coming down into the substrate?? or is that not likely to happen in a tank?

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
i want to do a mangrove brackish tank so bad! my question is, how long would it take to get a small "cage" effect of the roots coming down into the substrate?? or is that not likely to happen in a tank?
You can do that with read mangrove (Rhizophor mangle) but black mangrove does not form stilt roots. You can also get that same kind of look more easily and much faster by arranging some nice manzanita driftwood branches in your tank.

Karma954

Say hi to Tweezy :D
Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
cool, im gonna look into that

Shalmainia

AC Members
May 27, 2011
England
Real Name
Tobias
hydrophyte, apologies for the slight hijack, what would you suggest for the smaller brackish tank with lid, 2ft x 1ft. I wanted to get some mangroves but I've read they can get up to and above 20" tall. I like the look of sturdy big leaved plants but I need one that won't go as high as a foot, which I doubt I'll find. If I can't go with mangroves, what could I go with please?

I tried Amazon Swords thinking they might be okay with the salt, apparently not, my local stockist doesn't sell any salt water plants so it'll have to be an eBay affair.

Last edited:

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
LOL hi D. Fish are all fine and thriving. I'm slowly going back to Cichlids (Tangy's) but am keeping all tanks planted. My water is perfect for cichlids, I really enjoy keeping them. Something new to "master", pool filter sand and plants. I do have some philodenron in the planter cups I bought from you in several tanks. I have previously kept one brackish tank...can't wait to see how this tank of yours evolves.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Yeah those Tanganyika cichlids really are amazing. I think one could have a lifetime of fun keeping those fish.

I hope to get some more photo updates for this tank up soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store