Is the basket inside aquaclear filters of any use

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Don't Aquaclear filters have lifetime warranties? Has any called Hagen to find out what they'll do about it?
Do about what? I don't think there is really a parts problem here, just a design flaw.

Think about it...all power filters work basically the same way. None of them have baskets. I think they're just another way that Hagen wants to stand out, like the clear brittle plastic filter housing vs. the black ABS plastic...which to me is a drawback.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Do about what? I don't think there is really a parts problem here, just a design flaw.Think about it...all power filters work basically the same way. None of them have baskets. I think they're just another way that Hagen wants to stand out, like the clear brittle plastic filter housing vs. the black ABS plastic...which to me is a drawback.
Not all filters are designed the same. As I indicated, the media basket is held with tabs 1/4" off the bottom of the housing. The water comes in under the basket and flows evenly up through it. Without the basket, the filter would not function the same (see photo of Aquaclear 70 Filter).009-w.jpgWith missing tabs, all that's required is to cement a couple of 1/4" rails on the bottom of the basket to keep it off the bottom - simple fix...OR buy a new basket for $4.00 USD

009-w.jpg

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
It's true, not all power filters are designed the same. However they basically work the same way (which is what I actually said)

They pull water up through the media. Why does having the media not touching the sides of the filter make such a difference? Especially when all of the media is extremely porous.

The filter is certainly powerful enough to internally circulate water without needing that clearance. I use AquaClear media in all of my other HOB filters (Aqueon and Penguin). They seem to do just fine without the baskets.

Canister filters use baskets so you can separate different media...that's understandable. AquaClears use a "basket" to keep the media from touching the sides of the filter. Hmm, IMO, this probably makes about as much difference as what order you stack the media, which is something some people spend a great deal of time configuring...and in practice, I think doesn't really matter that much. There might be an optimum configuration, but it will still work no matter how you do it, and you probably won't notice much difference.

The AquaClear baskets seem to have very little effect on the operation of the filter. I have tried them with and without. I don't see any difference in the amount of flow or water clarity/quality. I am sure there is a measurable difference, but without lab equipment, I doubt you could tell. For all practical purposes, I doubt it matters.

How about you try it? Try running your AC 70 without a basket. Let us know what you find out. I'll tell you what I found out - taking the basket off made the media stop floating up and popping the lid off of my filter (the lid half off is how I noticed it) which was a desirable effect.

Last edited:

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
... do you think it leaves a bit of a gap in the media cavity for water to circulate.
Yes.

Not all filters are designed the same.
+1

The only thing in their operation that Is the Same, is that they all suck water up a tube and send it out over a spill way.

As Abbeysdad pointed out. The AC's send the water out Under the media. Hense needing the clearance the basket gives, to operate as Intended.
Where as "cartidge" types send the water out near the back, behind where the cartridge would be.

I've had a few AC's and only had one that gave me the basket pop up problem. I attributed it to Operator Error. Because after taking it apart and putting it back together a couple of times, it worked as intended.
It very well could have had a flaw in the "manufactering" of that specific filter. Because it seemed like it would still pop up when it was getting clogged. Oppossed to all the rest of mine, that would send the excess water right out the top around the Intake tube, back into the tank, un filtered.

And from my recollection. The cartridge types do this same by-pass thing. Dumping water back into the tank around the intake tube.

I'm sure you can remove the basket and still clean water. As long as you don't cram the stuff all the way to the bottom, then it shouldn't make any difference.
And I'm also sure you can stick an AC foam into a cartridge type filter too. And it would work on the same principal as an AC. And just like the AC, if you don't cram it to the bottom, you'll get to use all the surface area of the foam. Oppossed to just the tip of the foam right in front of the outlet.

So Yes, you can make stuff work not as intended.

You can also say you can drive your car around with the Emergency Brake applied too!

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Look at the photo - it has nothing to do with media touching the sides. Without the basket and the bottom clearance the water won't flow evenly up through the media. I suspect that the bottom basket in a canister is also up off the bottom for the very same reason. You should always strive for uniform flow through the media. The basket is also integral in controlling re-filtration - notice the holes in the sides just above the height of the first sponge, ensuring the water always passes through the first sponge before being 'eligible' for re-filtration. Running w/o the basket is a mistake as it will function much better as designed.
I don't seem to have a problem with floating media. Right now I'm using media in the following order: Sponge, filter pad, floss, sponge (sponges are the standard sponges for the AC70 [although I'd like something a bit finer - thinking of trying some of big al's]).

009-w.jpg

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
Do about what? I don't think there is really a parts problem here, just a design flaw.
A design flaw is a problem. Or, there could have been a run of units where the tabs that hold the basket in were not in spec and is not allow the basket to remain seated. That's is the what they could do something about. If it's under warranty they could swap it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store