Hillstream tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Thanks!Haven't been feeling well and no change to the tank so not much of a update. Just some photos and a video:DSC_0527.jpg
DSC_0498.jpg
DSC_0480-1.jpg
DSC_0455-1.jpg
DSC_0450-2.jpg
DSC_0477-1.jpg
DSC_0463-2.jpg
DSC_0502-1.jpg
DSC_0518.jpg
DSC_0461-2.jpg
DSC_0484.jpg
[video=youtube;u85P5jf5Cnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u85P5jf5Cnw[/video]

I plan to add the rest of the percs. next week then the loaches 2 weeks after but don't plan to keep all the percs. My main tank is more established than my qt tanks so the percs are going to be in here until they go to their new owner(s) next month. The final stock will be:5 sewellia lineolata7 gastromyzon cteno.1 gastromyzon unknown (I'm thinking G. stellatus but not sure yet)1 pair of stiphodon perc. All fish are getting fat eating Repashy with some frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms mixed with their algae.

DSC_0527.jpg DSC_0498.jpg DSC_0480-1.jpg DSC_0455-1.jpg DSC_0450-2.jpg DSC_0477-1.jpg DSC_0463-2.jpg DSC_0502-1.jpg DSC_0518.jpg DSC_0461-2.jpg DSC_0484.jpg

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I added the rest of the stiphodons into the main tank until they go to their new owners. I have to move the tank soon since my parents are going to renovate part of the house. Probably move it into the shed for a few months and sell off some stock to make the move easier. Also, starting to keep killies again. My mom wants a tank of them so I hatched out some old dated eggs from my notho. group I had. Plan to keep a 10g for the group and sell the other siblings I don't need. I'll be cleaning/changing out the peat and growing the killies but my mom will feed them which will make them her fishes as I won't have time to fully care for them myself. Anyways, on to some photos of the loach/stiphodon tank:FTS (I really need to clean the back; those dots are green dot algae I'm too lazy to scrub off the front glass):
DSC_0494.jpg
DSC_0451.jpg
DSC_0468-4.jpg
DSC_0483.jpg
I've found that the males don't get the black/blue color in this tank. They were black/blue in the qt tank though. I wish to see the yellow color but so far, nothing. Yes, that is hair algae. It is for the stiphodons. My brother told me it is disgusting to have the hair algae in the tank but the stiphodons seem to like it.

DSC_0494.jpg DSC_0451.jpg DSC_0468-4.jpg DSC_0483.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
They look very cute, I'm sure they'll color up again too. The male looks almost like an "orange fin" to me.

I kinda like hair alga & clado can be quite pretty, I almost never clean the back glass.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I bet they'll color-up after they adjust. They're young yet, too. Looking good! We algae-philes gotta stick together! ;)
Yea, I want them to turn yellow. The males bite/chase each other and the females but no breeding colors yet, even from the pair that was in the tank before this group. There's two that are pretty big compare to the others. I'll try to get a photo of them compare with the others. Almost twice the size. I'm not getting rid of the algae as I had such a hard time growing it in my old tank. It's finally taking over the tank :).
They look very cute, I'm sure they'll color up again too. The male looks almost like an "orange fin" to me. I kinda like hair alga & clado can be quite pretty, I almost never clean the back glass.
I thought so too but they were that blue/black color in the qt tank when I was netting them. Not sure why they're a plain color now. Even the first pair I put in the tank a week ago went back to this plain color. Maybe they're not in breeding mode yet. I'm going to let the hair algae grow and see how much space it takes up in the tank. I do love the green color of it.

Off topic but next summer, not this coming up summer, I am going to visit Thailand if I don't get hired/accepted for the job I want (going to apply for the job my last semester before graduation). I hope to visit the Chatuchak market while visiting other sites in Thailand. Probably spend a whole day there. Really want to see a fish market, which I've never seen before, even though I won't be able to bring anything back. I might even be able to check out some loach habitats when my parents go to Laos as I won't be going with them and will have some free time.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow, sounds like a really fabulous trip! But of course a job would be good too lol.

The color changing ability is just 1 of the neat things about gobies. If it was just the new smaller guys I'd think it's a heirarchy submissive thing. Who knows, something different about the QT that they liked?

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Yes, a job sounds better. I'm not sure as the qt tank was just plain with some rocks and plants.

I think I might be going a little crazy on the hair algae as it's just growing. I think I will take some out Tuesday so it will not break my koralias if it gets tangled up. Some photos of it (the lights make it look brown/yellow in some places but most of it is green):
DSC_0452-2.jpg
DSC_0467.jpg
DSC_0455-2.jpg
DSC_0449-2.jpg
DSC_0448-2.jpg
Of course some photos of the fishes:
DSC_0512.jpg
male sewellia showing his 'fences'; he's the boss of the tank now as the fat gastromyzon swims away from him; gastromyzon stills picks on the others though
DSC_0476.jpg
DSC_0501.jpg
DSC_0502-2.jpg
DSC_0504.jpg
DSC_0506.jpg
Then a FTS:
DSC_0447-3.jpg

I love turning on the lights in the morning and have the stiphodons pop out from under rocks. They dig a lot and throw the sand everywhere. I hope the green dot algae doesn't take over the front view as it's tough to scrub off.

DSC_0467.jpg DSC_0452-2.jpg DSC_0455-2.jpg DSC_0449-2.jpg DSC_0448-2.jpg DSC_0512.jpg DSC_0476.jpg DSC_0501.jpg DSC_0502-2.jpg DSC_0504.jpg DSC_0506.jpg DSC_0447-3.jpg

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Update

Photos of some stock and FTS (some photos were taken a week or so ago and I don't have them anymore; just didn't have time to post them; ignore the nasty green dot algae on glass too):
DSC_0564.jpg
DSC_0455-3.jpg
DSC_0549.jpg
DSC_0485.jpg
DSC_0511.jpg
DSC_0544.jpg
DSC_0525.jpg
DSC_0445-3.jpg
DSC_0477-2.jpg

Cleaned out some hair algae, moved some rocks around, added some shrimps, and sold some fish. Percs and ctenos were a pain to catch in the tank so I had to remove most of the rocks and driftwood. Plus the percs would dig and hide in the sand so I had to wait until they came out to get them. Now, there is more room for everyone and my tank is understock:).
Been busy with midterms, projects, and life but I plan on fixing up my killifish tank soon. Mom has been bothering me to set one up for her. Just waiting on the fry to grow up so I can add peat and fill the tank all the way with water as it's only half.

DSC_0564.jpg DSC_0455-3.jpg DSC_0549.jpg DSC_0544.jpg DSC_0525.jpg DSC_0485.jpg DSC_0511.jpg DSC_0445-3.jpg DSC_0477-2.jpg

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Looking good. Thanks for the update. You better get that hair algae before it gets wound up in the Koralia!

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Thanks:). I took off the hair algae when I gave them some repashy food today.

I am selling most of the stock as I will be moving in winter overseas and don't want to ship any live stock during the hot summer or fall when I have to pack and take care of errands. I plan to have my brother take care of the sewellias but they will be moved into a smaller tank. I might have to sell off the whole tank if he decides to go overseas too as no one else will be able to care for them. It's just a stressing time as I have a lot of things to take care of.

I think the sewellias are breeding. The alpha male was chasing the female and now she looks skinnier so I guess I have to look more closely and pay attention if any fry pop up in the tank. Most likely, the shrimp will eat the eggs if they did breed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store