Cheech's 90 g. build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
contgrats on the marriage and your set up is looking awesome.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
^ thank you.

Here are some updated pics. I'm almost done.

This weekend I'll be installing my media reactor, auto topoff unit, and auto-dosers (cal and alk... can't afford a calcium reactor right now).

Hopefully I'll also have time to work on my rock structure in the main tank.. I'l still debating whether or not to hold the rock together using PVC, or piling them on top of eachother...

I gave away my mantis shrimp and my foxface. The only 'large' fish I have in the display tank is my sailfin.

rock placement is temporary, until I figure out what to do.

sump/frag tank. I placed a damsel in here as well. Also got a blue lobster hiding in there somewhere.

Fuge area

I thouht you guys would appreciate a picture of this guy... I can't remember its name. I actually won it as part of a raffle last christmas. Very interesting to look at. Especially during feeding time.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Very very nice!

How about putting some cheato in the first section with the heaters? That drain seems like it would tumble cheato really well.

LOL, just noticed your light on the cheato... the "legs" look just like mine, all bent trying to get them to move after they rusted in place.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Very very nice!

How about putting some cheato in the first section with the heaters? That drain seems like it would tumble cheato really well.

LOL, just noticed your light on the cheato... the "legs" look just like mine, all bent trying to get them to move after they rusted in place.

Yes, those freaken lights.. I tried my best to straighten them out, then I lost my patience, and well, you can see the result. lol.

Ace, I've been reading mixed reviews on proper water current for chaeto to adequately absorb nitrates. Some say a fast flow is better, others say a slow flow is better.. Your advice? I would add some chaeto in the drain area, except (it's a little hard to see) there's a glass division seperating the drain and the heater placement. Not sure why they built it this way. It's only about 4" wide, and quite high. I still have plenty of space in the heater area though, when it starts growing, maybe I can add some in there.

Also, I have an extra powerhead. Should I add one in the chaeto fuge area for extra water movement?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
With this species, faster flow is best. Not necessarily in terms of nitrate reduction efficiency, but in terms of photosynthetic efficiency, since it keeps the strands of the alga cleaner and more receptive to light. While it would be more efficient in terms of output water to make a nice, slow flow, it isn't as practical for the alga, which will do better with ready access to nutrients and a good amount of flow to help with diffusion. So, good flow all around, IMO/E.

dlyon101

AC Members
Dec 30, 2010
This may be a silly question, but what is chaeto?

Awesome set up by the way. I love all of the space you have. Do you have water temperature issues with part of the system being in the garage? I guess you probably have heat, etc in the garage. I live in Texas and my garage is 90 degrees in August and 25 degrees in January.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
This may be a silly question, but what is chaeto?

Awesome set up by the way. I love all of the space you have. Do you have water temperature issues with part of the system being in the garage? I guess you probably have heat, etc in the garage. I live in Texas and my garage is 90 degrees in August and 25 degrees in January.

this is chaeto. Basically a nutrient sucker that's placed in a fuge. You can see a picture of it in my sump.

Temp. is somewhat of an issue. I live in Montreal Quebec (Canada), it gets quite cold here in winter. Fortunately the garage is well insulated. I keep the garage at about 65 degrees. Water temp right now is at 75. The basement is at about 76 degrees. once I add my MHs, it should even out.

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
loving your new setup,very sweet! How is it working out for you,did you have to make drains bigger for faster flow,or did you dial down your return pump?Because of this thread I have so many ideas going through my head with my setup.Between you cheech,amph and ace you guys rock.I bow my head to you three!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store