Thinking about switching to salt...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Evaporation always occurs at the lowest point of a system (return pump area). If the return is baffled off into a small area the evaporation rate may lead to the pump running dry. A reliable ATO and decent sized FW resovoir can combat this. Main issue would be leaving the tank for extended periods. My tank evaporates about a gallon per day in the winter time and that looks to be about what the volume of that cube.

If you extend the return to the water inlet area you would need a "T" off of the reurn line to feed the LR/fuge/skimmer area otherwise that area would not get any water.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Here is more of what im thinking. the water in and return pump section will be separated, by the bubble trap. the heights of the baffles are general right now, until i figure out how high i can make them.
Front view
Untitled2.png
left side wiew
Untitled3.png

Untitled3.png Untitled2.png

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yes that will work if I am seeing that correctly. Essentially one baffle (last pane of bubble trap). Water level will remain stable in drain area and fluctuate in the larger area with the return pump. Only concern is if you include a skimmer you will want an ATO so the water level doesn't fluctuate. Or you could make the drain section larger and put the skimmer there. Another option is to split the sump in 3 sections and put your skimmer in the middle.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Yes ato would definitely be good. the diagram seems like you have a lot of surface area so it may evaporate faster than a normal tank.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Yes that will work if I am seeing that correctly. Essentially one baffle (last pane of bubble trap). Water level will remain stable in drain area and fluctuate in the larger area with the return pump. Only concern is if you include a skimmer you will want an ATO so the water level doesn't fluctuate. Or you could make the drain section larger and put the skimmer there. Another option is to split the sump in 3 sections and put your skimmer in the middle.
My skimmers a hob lol. Looks like I may leave it on the dt, or have to get a new one.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Yes ato would definitely be good. the diagram seems like you have a lot of surface area so it may evaporate faster than a normal tank.
I plan on doing this, it seems like a good idea regardless.
I'm wanting this sump to just look like another tank. I think I'm going to try to get black acrylic to build the sections.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Why can't you hang it off the sump? I have never thought to ask but I didn't think HOB skimmers had to have a steady water level?

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Why can't you hang it off the sump? I have never thought to ask but I didn't think HOB skimmers had to have a steady water level?
Well noise mostly, from what I've seen with mine it matters if you set it up with the outlet out of the water versus in the water. It will skim too much if it's set up with outlet out of water and the outlet gets submerged. I'm sure I can set up something to lessen the noise since I'm sure the water level won't be high enough to submerged it in the return chamber.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Do you guys think I could remove the canister and just go with the ac110 and skimmer? I've got plenty of live rock and flow. I think it will be ok, but I'd like some other opinions.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
No problem. The canister is just one more thing to keep up with and doesn't provide any significant benefit over what you would be running. The HOB can still run media, etc..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store