Dual Tank System Build Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
What kind of GPH are you shooting for? Even though that pump says it has 1100 gph, at 10' it is going to be less.

I was looking at these guys http://www.reeflopumps.com/

If you go to the bottom of their web page there is an excel spreadsheet. It specs out their various pumps, and includes GPH at however many feet you will be looking at.

For instance their Dart is a 3600 gph pump. But at 10' it only does 1520 gph.

Also consider power consumption, because that will cost you in the long run.

There, now you have something else to research! :)

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
What kind of GPH are you shooting for? Even though that pump says it has 1100 gph, at 10' it is going to be less.

I was looking at these guys http://www.reeflopumps.com/

If you go to the bottom of their web page there is an excel spreadsheet. It specs out their various pumps, and includes GPH at however many feet you will be looking at.

For instance their Dart is a 3600 gph pump. But at 10' it only does 1520 gph.

Also consider power consumption, because that will cost you in the long run.

There, now you have something else to research! :)
Ya I did research that, as far as the Iwaki's are concerned I need atleast the 55RLT if not the 70. However I read the chart wrong on the Pan World's and that pump isn't going to be quite powerful enough.

Looking at something more like:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Pan_Worl...umps-Pan_World-JW1123-FIWPEPOT-JW1183-vi.html

Which is a lot more money of course, wife will love that.

Trying to get around 1000gph in each tank at about 15', 10x turn over. Plus I'll be adding in some power heads of course on top of that.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
At my wife's suggestion I have solved the sump problem. I will be using my current 75g glass tank for the sump. This will necessitate a temporary sump in order to move the fish out into the new system and then prepare the old tank. So I decided to pickup two 50g rubbermaid tote's. One for the sump and one for the refill tank.

Picked up one of the 50 gallon tote's I needed last night, Home Depot only had one in stock, should have the second one tonight. Filled it up to almost full and though it holds, it bows heavily. So I think I will need to build a small wooden frame around the tubs to give them some extra support, shouldn't be a problem.

So with measurements in hand now, I am going to start on the equipment cabinet this weekend. I should hear back about my display tanks this weekend as well, and hope to have them delivered up to me the following weekend.

Another option I am now considering is using a smaller pump that pushes around 750gph at 15' head. Then supplementing that flow with a closed loop system for each tank. That should give me the aesthetic look I was hoping for (no power heads) and plenty of flow. I'll build an under rock support system (pvc) and plump the closed loop into that with a few hidden adjustable outputs. I'll plumb the return from the sump into the adjustable ports Ace recommended in the hidden side wall.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Build officially begun!

Bought the 54g tubs and built some braces for them:

The parts

The top bracing:

The bottom bracing:

Assembled:

And repeat:

Tested:

And a paint job to give them some protection from moisture:

Was helping the wife with some projects around the house this weekend, so that's all I got done. But it's nice to have something started :)

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Something is wrong here... we need pictures with the cat inside. That'll fix it.

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Very cool. See you are probably going to beat me to a fully functioning setup. I still have to finish the room mine are going in.

Those tanks look very nice. So how many gallons are you going to have total, including the sumps?

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Very cool. See you are probably going to beat me to a fully functioning setup. I still have to finish the room mine are going in.

Those tanks look very nice. So how many gallons are you going to have total, including the sumps?
probably around 275, I am hoping to find a 100g glass tank I can use as a sump, but we'll see what I can find around here, slim pickins.

One thing I'd like to do is open up the access holes at the top some, I'm just not sure what is safe. It's 3/8 acrylic and the tanks are only 20" high, so I should be ok I think, but I need to sort that out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store