Mysterious feeder goldie death

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
I had these four goldfish. They were being temporarily held in a 15gal until my pond is finished. Well last week when I was cruising CL I found a free 40gal, so I went and got it and finally got it set up the day before yesterday. I used seeded substrate and the filter that was on the 15gal so that I didn't have to cycle the tank and transferred the goldies over to the 40gal so they could have a bigger home until the pond was complete. Well when I was transferring the goldies over to the 40gal I noticed one of them looked sunken in in the abdomen area. I thought I was just seeing things or maybe she just had a deformity as who knows what genetics $.13 feeders have. Well today I went into the fish room to find her dead. Makes me sad. I got her along with three other feeders from a lady who kept them in a fish bowl and hoped to give them a better life. I inspected her body and there is no visible signs of illness(parasites/fungal) from the outside. She never acted weird prior to her death, she was eating fine. I don't know how long she's been sunken as I kept a relatively dim light bulb in the hood when I had them in the 15gal.

I don't feed live food, their main staple is pelleted food and occasion I feed them frozen beef heart and brine shrimp. Any ideas? None of the other goldies have any symptoms.

Just a note I know a 40gal is too small as I'm sure some of you will mention, a pond is being built as we speak so no worries;)

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
Any ideas?
I think the reason is because it's a feeder goldfish.

They are kept in deplorable conditions, extremely cramped, often malnourished, and very prone to all sorts of illness. All of the really experienced aquarists that I know, that actually use feeders do not buy them from the store for this reason.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
I had this one for about 6 months now. I mean if it was going to understandably drop dead wouldn't it had done it sooner, primarily when it was living in a bowl rather then later in a heavily filtered tank? If the goldie died shortly after me getting them then sure that would be the same conclusion I would have arrived at but I've had this goldie for a few months and it just doesn't make sense to me. Would ammonia poisoning have lasting affects for up to six months before the fish decided to kick the bucket. I would think the fish would die or get healthier once moved into a filtered aquarium. And would a sunken in abdomen be the result from ammonia poisoning of bad nutrition 6 months prior?

Not saying your wrong, just have some more questions.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I had this one for about 6 months now. I mean if it was going to understandably drop dead wouldn't it had done it sooner, primarily when it was living in a bowl rather then later in a heavily filtered tank? If the goldie died shortly after me getting them then sure that would be the same conclusion I would have arrived at but I've had this goldie for a few months and it just doesn't make sense to me. Would ammonia poisoning have lasting affects for up to six months before the fish decided to kick the bucket. I would think the fish would die or get healthier once moved into a filtered aquarium. And would a sunken in abdomen be the result from ammonia poisoning of bad nutrition 6 months prior?

Not saying your wrong, just have some more questions.
My bad, I thought they were recent additions.

Did you notice stringy poo? There are a myriad of things that can cause a fish to stop eating and/or have a sunken in stomach.

I think some of the effects of ammonia poisoning are definitely permanent ones, and sometimes the stress takes its toll on a fish after some time, but I'm talking in very small time frames, like days and weeks, not months.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
No stringy poo, brown and solid and this fish was eating after I noticed the sunken abdomen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store