Young Goldfish with ammonia burn

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
update on PHILLY : She seems to be doing alittle better. she is loosing black off her fins and lessening on her gills. But To me it still looks really bad, But about a 25% improvement from last post.

She likes to hang around with the cory cat (single cory...was from another tank...no where to put him so put him in here, been there for months doing well.) she is about the same size as the cory and they swim back and forth together...

I think she thinks shes a catfish. She seems very happy and eating well.

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
update on Philly----She is doing soo much better...the black is almost completely gone, she still has a small black lined lip. and a small small small spot on one of her gills. But overall a very good improvement. She has grown so much and fits right in with the other goldfish that seem so large compared to her. She seems happier. and now is very active...color is well...eats as if she were a horse..but i understand she has to keep up with the big dogs of the tank :)

I feel very happy i rescued her, I feel like she'd be gone if i wouldnt have gotten her.

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

nomommythatsmyfood

AC Members
Sep 6, 2010
Georgia
Real Name
Meag
Hello everyone,

I rescued a gorgeous White fantail with orangeish gold eyes from walmart last week...his bottom fin was all eaten up and had the makings of a bleeding wound. i took him hime and quarantined him and have been treating with melafix...this is day 5 of 7 day treatment. i wake up this am and he has black spots on his gills! oh i almost cried! so i did a water change but my questrion is why would he get an ammonia burn while he is receiving melafix? his wound is clearing up nicely but im so hurt that i burned him!! crapola! should i discontinue the melafix?

Carch

AC Members
Sep 1, 2010
Hello everyone,

I rescued a gorgeous White fantail with orangeish gold eyes from walmart last week...his bottom fin was all eaten up and had the makings of a bleeding wound. i took him hime and quarantined him and have been treating with melafix...this is day 5 of 7 day treatment. i wake up this am and he has black spots on his gills! oh i almost cried! so i did a water change but my questrion is why would he get an ammonia burn while he is receiving melafix? his wound is clearing up nicely but im so hurt that i burned him!! crapola! should i discontinue the melafix?
Ammonia is extremely potent stuff. How do you know it's an ammonia burn, have you tested your water with a liquid test kit?

I would advise against "saving" animals from stores in the future. While you may feel that you swooped in and removed an animal from a bad situation, you are giving the company in question your money. Giving the company money is a victory for the company, and they'll just order another little goldfish to take the place of the one they sold to you. It's a vicious cycle that never ends, until the consumers stop feeding them cash.

Kristinann

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Fortunately, Carch, I hear Walmart is discontinuing the sale of live fish. They will only sell the tanks and decor. Atleast thisis what I hear. I hope it is true. I know my local Walmarts no longer sell fish. But I do agree with what you are saying.

nomommythatsmyfood

AC Members
Sep 6, 2010
Georgia
Real Name
Meag
yeah, I know he was just so beautiful and I couldnt stand him being in there with no plants, substrate...nothing! but tons of other fish! but anywho, i havent done a test with a water kit...i only have the strips at the moment and i know everyone says they stink but its all i have rightnow...im just going from what i have researched and what i ahve seen/read on here...but i was kind of curious...i didnt see any reddening before the black? if it was ammonia, would I have?

goldiefun

Registered Member
Nov 6, 2010
Hi,

I have a goldfish that I just medicated for Velvet, and he has recovered and is doing well and swimming and eating very healthy.

However, now he has black on the edges of his fins and tail, which look like ammonia burn. I have researched this, and if it is ammonia burn, he is on the right track to recovery with good water quality, etc. There was a slight reading of ammonia after the medication that I used for the Velvet, but it was very low. Now the tank is back in line with the correct readings for a cycled tank.

Are the black marks ammonia burn, or could they be signs of healing from the Velvet?

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store