Angelfish laid eggs and I need help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
Well I have a BIG OL' FROWNIE FACE today!!! I got home from work yesterday and all the eggs were gone:mad:!
Since, they are in spawning mode I am hoping they will lay again...
So,.. I took the opportunity to clean the tank and put the padding over the intake in preparation of the next batch. I already ordered a bunch of microworms so I hope I can keep them alive, which according to what I've read shouldn't be too hard... I am also trying to locate a 10 or 20gal that I can set up for the fry to start off in... Should I be lucky enough to ever reach that point.

Thanks for all the help and great advice thus far everybody:clap:!!!
I'm sure I will need more in the future:grinyes:.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
FYI, when you see the eggs 'missing' or 'gone'
do a cursory check in the tank.. the parents often move the wigglers to a different, safe location...often hiding the wigglers..
I can't tell you how many times I saw the eggs gone and a day or so later see the parents tending the babies in a new location.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
+1

i would check other places asap............

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
Thanks guys, that's good to know for future reference.
If the eggs hatched and the parents moved them I unknowingly sucked them up in the w/c when I was cleaning the tank last night, however it had only been about 48 hrs since they laid so I doubt they hatched and were moved.
I would rather the parents have eaten the eggs than me having sucked up the wigglers and disposed of them...
Ya live ya learn...

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
well, even then, its okay;) just wait for another batch, for me, if u like skip WCs for a week, and do a large one after a while, the angels lay soon after as they seem to think that this is the best time..............idk if it works for real

but it worked for me/.

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
if u like skip WCs for a week, and do a large one after a while, the angels lay soon after as they seem to think that this is the best time...
I just did a really large one last night, maybe 40 or so of the 55gal. Maybe they will think that's good and lay again soon. There are a couple of others that may be trying to pair up too... I hope so!
I'll keep y'all posted and let you know.

Also, I will have pics of my tanks up in my profile this weekend. :thm:

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
Maybe this time...

Yea!!!!:clap: My golds are laying more eggs now and my marbles laid eggs 2 days ago! I put a divider in the tank and a piece if colored glass on the golds side, their laying their eggs on that instead of the filter intake.
The marbles laid their eggs on the back of the thermometer! Really?!? Why not just on the glass instead of the smallest thing they can find?
I'm setting up another 55gal tomorrow and a 30gal holding tank in a few days. I'm going to move the breading pairs to the 55 with a divider after I move the fry (I hope, I hope!) to the 30gal. It's not really a tank but it will work...
I can't upload any pics, either to here or to my albums - they keep failing for some reason.
Maybe I will have better luck with these batches! :dance2:

Last edited:

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Cool! Hope you get some fry!! Mine are free swimming a week today. They quickly dwindled in numbers from literally hundreds to about 40-50 at this point. Think now about what you are going to feed them!

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
Back of thermometer.JPGBlakie & Blue.JPGOn colored glass.JPG
Cool! Hope you get some fry!! Mine are free swimming a week today. They quickly dwindled in numbers from literally hundreds to about 40-50 at this point. Think now about what you are going to feed them!
Thanks, I hope so too!!
They were hatching sometime early this morning but the wigglers didn't stick to where they were laid and kept falling off the back of the thermometer. The parents kept sucking them up and spitting them at the thermometer but they would just fall again. By the time I got up and saw this there weren't many left, I hope they moved them but I don't think so, I looked around on the bottom of the tank under where they were but didn't see any there either. I will keep an eye out for them though. I sucked up what few there were left with a turkey baster and put them into a bowl and floated it in the top of the tank. I hope that was the right thing to do...
Maybe I will have better luck with the Gold's eggs being laid on the colored glass I put in there for them to lay on... Knowing now that the wigglers don't stick to where they were laid I am going to put a ledge on the glass to catch any wigglers that fall but I have to wait for now. At least I learn more with each batch.
When the "Gold's" laid their first batch a couple of weeks ago I ordered some microworms. I got in a 6oz culture and today have 6 times as much! I put an add on Craig's list to try to sell some but no takers yet. I hate to throw away or kill living things if I don't have to, even if they are nematodes.

I'm sorry to hear about your losses! Is that normal to lose so many or did something happen?

Back of thermometer.JPG Blakie & Blue.JPG On colored glass.JPG

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I wasn't sure what to expect. I really didn't want to hatch brine shrimp. So, I just bought decapsulated and golden pearls. I couldn't get them to eat. I think I would have done better with microworms or newly hatched brine shrimp. They are now eating frozen baby brine shrimp and growing quickly.

My wigglers were in the same place they hatched.

Those marbles are NICE.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store