Prickly Sculpin Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Ah! I got you! I did not think anyone kept these fish or even avail in the hobby. thus the question on your other thread.

I have kept few different species of locally caught s/w Sculpins myself back in the days but never specific kept in f/w ones.

I think they are very unsual and cute and must say from looking a the pics, it has its own personality/characteristics.

I saw nice s/w stonefish at lfs recently. It looked just like a stone/rock covered with purple/pink coralline algae. In fact, most shoppers did not even notice the stonefish until pointed out.

Have fun!!!
yeah sculpin keepers are far and few between but that is part of it for me^_^ love them, they have such a great personality and so much fun to watch and interact with.

Iv seen the stone fish they look neat! i wouldn't mine having one of those as well!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
When you do have SF, Just dont get poke by the dorsal rays. Depending on the species, one may not even get a chance to reach for phone to dial 911. LOL!

btw, how did you obtain your sculpin?

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
When you do have SF, Just dont get poke by the dorsal rays. Depending on the species, one may not even get a chance to reach for phone to dial 911. LOL!

btw, how did you obtain your sculpin?
..SF?
fresh water sculpin do not have poisons..

and they were given to me, by a family member who did not know what they had.

Last edited:

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
ok! here we go!

sooo...I noticed my sculpin's tank was getting a bit small as she reached the 5 inch mark...and i just so happen to run across a free 40 gallon on CraigsList....and had the filters for it sooo....an hour and a half later i have a 40 gallon!!!!! woot1 im moving up this is my first tank over 25 gallons.

so! the 20 gallon finished its life as this..loved this tank and how it matured.
..removing the deco really did not settle well with the Angry Fish...now she is skulking and unhappy!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
just going to throw these out in some sort of order untill we get to now^_^

And today!!!! ..and a pics of the 2 prickly sculpin and 2 mottled sculpin all under 2 1/2 inches that are already in the tank...

Let me know what you guys think of the lay out..The sculpin LOVE this.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Awesome tank, youre giving me too many ideas!

pretty sure im getting a net and going creek walking this spring and summer lol

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
^_^ they are awesome fish!

i would suggest a lake...late spring when the water heats up.. look for rocky shore lines, the younger ones from the warmer lakes seem to take to take life better than when found in fast flowing cold creeks^_^..

i would say 20 gallons to a fish full grown..ill be re homing 3 of these guys in another 6-8 months.

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
Ur big girl is 5inches now! Congratz! does she try to eat the babies? Hey kaosu have you been able to get your sculpin to eat pellets? As for my sculpin my friend is housing the big male who is now 5 1/2 inches!! my female seems way happier that the larger sculpin is gone and has grown to 4 inches and devours everypiece of food in sight

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store