Puffy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
We moved a betta to our 100 gallon corner community tank and he's doing well there, so I got a GSP yesterday. Have him in an established 10 gallon right now by himself (where the betta was before), but we have lots of spare tanks to pick from for the puffer's permanent home.

Before deciding which tank to use..... I've heard mixed opinions whether puffers should be kept singly or are compatible with multiple puffers together. Would appreciate a little feedback from you all on that question.

What's the ideal setup for one or more green spots?

Have to add this too. I always thought puffers were nicely aggressive, predatory hunters. Mine did that as expected, going after about 20 little pond snails right away. Then 3 hours later the same day, I caught the little monster playing around in the bubbles. lmao!!! It was so cute, I couldn't help but laugh.

What kind of self-respecting hunter fish plays with bubbles like that?!?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
It would have to be a good sized tank, and it will really come down to the individuals. Some can be nasty, but I bet raising them together might make them more willing to co-exist.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
With GSPs, I think around 30 gallons would be bare minimum when he's an adult. I also think that a single one would probably be best, but multiples could work given a big enough tank (depending on the individuals of course.)

You mentioned one of the reasons I love puffers... they are mean as can be, but are also so goofy that it's hard to believe they can be that mean. Kinda like Wiz. :rofl:

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
With GSPs, I think around 30 gallons would be bare minimum when he's an adult. I also think that a single one would probably be best, but multiples could work given a big enough tank (depending on the individuals of course.)

You mentioned one of the reasons I love puffers... they are mean as can be, but are also so goofy that it's hard to believe they can be that mean. Kinda like Wiz. :rofl:
:mad2:

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Okay thanks, JB. We'll set up the 29 gallon for him by himself. Already got out a light for it so I can add some brackish tolerant plants later. Don't mind if he nibbles on those too.

This one is still real small. The shop kept him in full freshwater, so I'll introduce salt gradually once the new tank is ready.

LOL... so true. ;)

I remember reading puffers are smart and have interesting personalities... this beastie really grows on ya. (Same applies with Wizard, of course.)

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I vote to have JB keelhauled, then drawn and quartered with the remains hung from the yard arm for the sea gulls. He and Kashta must be scum buddies. Kashta I will deal with myself. :thumbsup:

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Puffers arn't mean. They are just very smart. And get bored easily. And when they get bored they get hungry. And when they get hungry they like to play "is it edible". Usually other living creatures dislike this game very much. :evil_lol:

GSP's can be kept in groups as long as they arn't on the extreme end of the personality range. The problem is that it depends on personality, territory, and space. 30g per puffer is the general rule with GSP's, which makes for a large setup for any more then 2 puffers. Interesting enough they have a very wide range of personalities. Some people can't keep anything alive with them. Others manage to keep them in reef tanks with a full clean-up crew (in other words...puffer food).

neudl

Registered Member
Jul 28, 2011
I've been keeping GSP's for over 20 years, and my observation is that you can't make any prediction as to the temperament of any individual. I have had GSPs that are great community fish, and others that devour every goby in my tank in a 5 minute span. It's going to be trial and error, but the one thing I will observe is add the GSP to an established tank. If you add the GSP and think you are going to add bublebee gobies later, your puffer is going to think it's feeding time when you release the gobies! They are very smart fish, and I have always had a soft spot for puffers - it's hard not too, it's like a cuddly puppy that bites your other puppies in half it it feels like it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store