self watering terrarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Mostly. You can see in the fts pics where the thermometer is.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
due to close quarters and the close proximity of your bulbs, you can have a pretty decent difference in temp between directly at the tip of a specific plant and mid height on the walls. i would definitely check temps at the same height of your pitchers directly under each bulb. once you have a high/low temp differential in the different locations you can better decipher what's going on directly at the plants by your reading on the wall. for example... say there's an 14*F difference between where your meter is stationed and directly on the plant... and you have a significantly hot week or something... you'll know without a doubt to move that particular plant for that week. all things staying pretty equal, that temp differential should be pretty steady as well.

just a thought. something to consider, etc.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
All your helis are look happy in their new home!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Thanks, Paul!

Dun... that makes a lot of sense. I'm going to have to do some experimentation here...

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Well, I've done some experimenting, and at the level of the top of the pots, the temperature stays pretty stable throughout the tank. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the readings at the top of the tall plant.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i'd just bend up an old wire hanger into a couple feet and a platform to hold the meter for a day or so. then throw it out when i'm done.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
i'd just bend up an old wire hanger into a couple feet and a platform to hold the meter for a day or so. then throw it out when i'm done.
That's a great idea. I'll have to get on that when I get home. I can't believe how often I totally over look the obvious...

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
maybe not so obvious, honestly. you'd likely not believe some of the things i've done with a wire hanger and a fork in the past. :evil_lol:

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
maybe not so obvious, honestly. you'd likely not believe some of the things i've done with a wire hanger and a fork in the past. :evil_lol:
I'm a little afraid to ask... :rofl:

Remember this is a family site...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store