Australian Desert Gobies eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Can't wait to see some new pic's, that last one was terrific! Big mouth on that little guy:)

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Here are a couple of fry pics. I've left some in my external fry saver device with water flowing through it via air pump. I have put the others in a little net breeder in flow path of the power filter. I can't see a difference in growth between the groups, and all are doing well. They're much bigger than they were in my last pics, though it's hard to tell. They're 2.5-3 times the size of the new ones, and they swim and actively hunt the bbs.

Here are a couple of pics my wife took a few days ago. I tried to get pics of the developing eggs tonight, but couldn't get any clear ones. They'll probably start hatching within 3 days.

(fishorama, head over to my 55 thread for updates on the mystery fry! Nothing too exciting on that front, though)

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Clutch 3 is GONE. I think it was eaten, or at least most of it was when they started to hatch last night. I looked in there this morning, and there were just a couple of eggs dangling, and the male was in there WITH the female. I figured she was eating the eggs as well, and I couldn't found any fry yet in the main tank. Anyway, I pulled the tube which had just two eggs dangling in it and hung it up and internally cursed at the dad. 20 minutes later, I looked in the tube to discover the real cause of the clutch's disappearance. A whole new clutch. I knocked off the two about to hatch eggs (they may hatch anyway in the fry saver) and put the tube back, hoping he'd return. Not only did he return immediately, but so did the female, who proceeded to lay a second set of eggs.
I guess my lesson is to pull the eggs a little sooner next time (I should have. My timing was screwed up by being out of town for a few days in the middle of their incubation), and also that these fish are crazy little creatures.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
And you keep these in all freshwater? no salt at all?

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
very cool, alot of the gobie species I've read about need salt eventually.
I really don't want to get into that. I still have alot to learn about fw.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Aww, that's too bad about clutch 3 but great news for #4, sounds like an even bigger batch. At least now you know how long is too long.

That first pic is great! He already looks like a goby.

snot

AC Members
Mar 4, 2012
First post here. I just got ten of these little guys shipped to me I split them into two different groups.the ones I have are only 1” to 1 1/2” can anyone tell me how long it takes them to reach maturity? Or how long until I can sex them. Thanks for the help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store