Some questions about my new fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Arctic Fox

AC Members
Oct 17, 2014
Hey guys, I'm new to the site and a complete noob in the fish keeping world. I got a 10 gallon tank and I have had it "cycling" (which I think I have finally figured out the meaning of) with a P. Demasoni African Cichlid and a Ghost White Lobster for about 10 days now. I've been doing a lot of research online about how to correctly get all of this started and have been having a lot of fun with all of it. So I'm understanding that I need to let it cycle for like a few more weeks until the nitrites and nitrates and stuff balance before I introduce any new fish into the aquarium. So after this happens, I'm wondering how many Cichlids I can keep in my tank. The guy at my local aquarium store said I should only keep other African Cichlids with the guys I have in there right now because they're very aggresive. I want to make sure he's correct in saying this. Also, for the first 8 days I was feeding them frozen blood worms because that's what the girl at Petsmart said my Demasoni would like. Then I talked to the guy at the aquarium store and he said I should feed him plant pellets because he's a herbivore so I immediately bought some of those but my Demasoni doesn't seem to like them or something for the past 2 days I have been putting the pellets in the tank. He just bites them and then spits them out. I don't know if they are too big for his mouth or if he just doesn't like them. So those are just a few questions I have been wondering about and also I would love any tips at all you might have for a brand new fish lover, thanks guys!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I would ask the pet store what it was eating there and get that. Or try flakes. Btw, petsmart sells those? I think your tank is too small for that fish.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Arctic Fox

AC Members
Oct 17, 2014
Thanks for the quick feedback man. I actually got both my Demasoni and lobster from a special aquarium store that only sells fish and fish supplies about 20 minutes from my house, but I guess I was too excited to get back home with my new fish that I forgot to pick up food for him and I didn't want to drive all the way back out there so I just went to the petsmart right by my house...

So are you saying that I shouldn't even just have my one Cichlid in my tank?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Not a one....

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Yeah unfortunately a 10 gallon is not a very good home to a lot of things. Most people relegate them to guppies or other smaller fish. Even schooling fish like neon tetras most people will say 10 gallons isn't enough(though I disagree there). My brother kept an auratus in a 10 gallon for years, but it came to a point where it did almost nothing but sulk in the corner.

If you want to keep the fish in an ideal environment, go out and get at least a 30 gallon. Then you could get a few more fish too(other mbuna). I bet you could keep it alive in the 10 gallon, but not happy (and you likely wont get much help here when things go wrong). Keep the 10 gallon though for guppies or something else :D

As for food, mbuna are generally herbivores. That they will eat anything edible does not mean it is good. Too much protein with no roughage will cause bloat. In the wild they graze algae off of rocks as their primary food source, and rarely eat live foods, then more out of opportunity than necessity. Most fish can go days without food with no issue. Stop feeding for a day or 2 and it will eventually be hungry enough to eat the plant pellets.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
there are dwarf cichlids that you can keep in a 10. but research them to find out their adult size.

off hand shell dwellers(some) as well as apistogramma(some species)

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
you could always do a snail tank or a shrimp tank.a 10 gallon would work very nicely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store