What else can I stock this tank with?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
Panda cories need at least 20 gallons, as do zebra danios.......
It seems I mistook them with another fish. Good thing I didn't pick any up today! I did get 5 ghost shrimp just to see how my gouarami reacts.

I'm looking for one or two non-schooling fish, really, but I know my options are limited. I want to stay away from tetras and pygmy cories. I still don't know quite what a killifish is, would one of those be a reasonable option? Or anything else you can suggest?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
hmm well how about a.......oh i got it! A platy.

Last edited:

Jay_S

I can do it ... hold my beer.
Dec 22, 2014
queens
Real Name
Real Name
Killi fishes are fish that live in temporary (for the most part) bodies of water they have the most fantastic colors of the fresh water fish they have better colors than chiclid even.

images.killi.net this has a list of them with foto's.

they are small and clean fish to keep. Nasa took them into space to study them. thier eggs are diapause just like brine shrimp.

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
what type of water do you have? Hard water, soft water? A 10 gallon with one dwarf gourami, and you want one or two more fish, not tetras, not cory, not schooling? Are you avoiding bottom dwellers in general, or just corys?

I think a couple of platies would be great unless you have super soft water or something. They come in all kinds of pretty colors. They may eat your shrimp though.
Small dwarf cichlids - ditto on eating the shrimp. A Bolivian Ram is neat though. German rams are more sensitive and need softer water.

Killifish are super neat but are a little more of a specialty item. They don't have to be - but they aren't common in LFS and some have particular requirements. Very pretty though.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I would not do either bolivian or blue rams in a 10 gallon. 20 long minimum, but that is just my opinion.

There are definitely people who breed them in smaller footprints/volumes, but it's not something I would recommend, especially with with a community setting.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
I thought rams needed at least 15 gallons, or is that just for the GBR?

Anyways, I did end up getting a golden wonder killifish, and my gourami seems to have eaten 90% of the shrimp. :( Oh well, lesson learned.
You're right, bolivians get even larger than GBRs anyway.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store