First Higher Tech Tank - Help Requested

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BenEFurlong

AC Members
Sep 29, 2014
In my imagination...
Hello. (Also, I've been up for 20 or so hours, so excuse the idiocy below)
So this is my first higher tech planted tank. I've kept planted tanks in the past, but they contained mostly plants like Java Fern under low light.
The tank is a 20G Tall/High, with T5HO lights. It's a double strand light, each being 24 watts. Both are 6500k, and the system sits directly on the glass canopy.
The substrate is about 2 inches of Eco-Complete with I plan to top with some gravel and rocks for purely aesthetic reasons.
I will be adding some driftwood later.

My tank is uncycled with no plans to stock anytime soon (though I have a lovely -note the sarcasm- group of pest snails being born despite my attempts to kill them before planting), and I plan to Silent Cycle the tank. I've done this before, but as previously stated under low light conditions.

I bought a plant package off of Aquabid (great seller), and the plants all arrived happy and healthy. I'm still in the process of determining the ID of all the plants, as several were sent as extras. So far, having only had the plants for a few days, I'm already noticing several achievements and problems.

Flora (as best I can ID them):
Cabomba - Doing excellent. Vibrant with new growth.
Bacopa monnieri - Lots of new growth, with sturdy stems. Very few lower leaves dying off.
Java Fern - Turning translucent black. Also dusted in a black-spotted substance. Overall, doing poorly.
Elodea najas - Slowly becoming a translucent yellow/brown.
Alternanthera reineckii? - Minimal growth, also displaying translucent patches.
Hygrophilia salicifolia? - Experiencing new growth with minimal decay, a few leaves have turned solid black in small portions though.
Nomaphilia siamensis? - Also experiencing new growth, with small portions turning solid black.
Two types of swords? - The smaller, darker green one is doing great and growing. The taller, thinner one (argentinensis?) is getting yellow/brown translucent spots.
Duckweed - Obviously doing well, despite the fact I tried to kill it and throw it away. :flamed:
Dwarf Water Lettuce? - It's a very water resistant plant (hydrophobic in nature), and if submerged it will remained covered in tiny bubbles. This floating plant is doing poorly, and is turning solid yellow, then solid brown.

Water temp: 78
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 0
Hardness: Undetermined as I wait for my other kits, but assuming high as I live in the mountains.
Lights are kept on for about 8 hours.

I'm assuming my problem is either 1) lack of CO2, 2) lack of additional ferts, or 3) my lack of both?
Or maybe I have not gotten the hang of how long to keep the lights on? Or maybe the pH and hardness are effecting the plants?
Regardless, all advice is welcome. Also, feel free to call me an idiot. I don't know how this happens, but somehow I'm great at organizing my thoughts as an astrophysics student, but dive in like an idiot with aquariums. FYI, This tank is primarily for plants, and fish will be determined later.
Thanks in advance for the help. :thumbsup:​

BenEFurlong

AC Members
Sep 29, 2014
In my imagination...
Angled view of tank.

Unhappy floater. Dwarf Water Lettuce?

One of many happy Cabomba.

Unhappy...something? Kind of turning translucent and melting.

Unhappy Java Fern with some sort of happy Sword plant....Also, snails.

Experiencing new growth with minimal decay...whichever this one is...

The Bacopa seems to be doing well, but the Elodea hates me...

Unhappy Sword...happy Bacopa...I think...

Closer view of tank...

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Me personally, I would rearrange the plants. I would re-plant the plants that "Will" grow taller along the back or sides to have an open spce for viewing and swimming. I would also bunch the "Bunch plants" together more.

BenEFurlong

AC Members
Sep 29, 2014
In my imagination...
Me personally, I would rearrange the plants. I would re-plant the plants that "Will" grow taller along the back or sides to have an open spce for viewing and swimming. I would also bunch the "Bunch plants" together more.
Gotcha. I'll arrange everything better when the manzanita wood is ready to dive in the tank. :)

BenEFurlong

AC Members
Sep 29, 2014
In my imagination...
Your plants probably want CO2/ferts under 2xT5HO lighting.
I figured. Do you have any recommendations? My price-point is about middle range. Don't want to exceed...let's say $150 for the ferts and a CO2 system, if possible, but I'm willing to go above that. I would prefer not to DIY this if possible....I'm incredibly busy as it is (and lazy), and can tell you I'd kill everything in my tank, simply from not having enough time to check it.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
With such a small tank, you will not need a "Big" CO2 system You should be able to get one for under $150. The most expensive part is the regulator.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Dry ferts are pretty cheap and last a fairly long time. You'll want to dose NPK (generally KNO3, K2HPO4, and K2SO4 if you need more K) and micros (something like csm+b). I bought mine from a member on another forum, but you can get them from a few online stores as well.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Look at a used system for CO2 (they pop up now and again..) and then dry dose the ferts as mentioned above. If you don't want to shop around for the best deals, Green Leaf Aquarium usually stocks everything you would need. There are probably vendors on this forum that supply them though as well; and possibly at a cheaper price.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store