need help, anemone not doing to good

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I don't think they'll mind at this point.

How big is the anemone in relation to the maroon clown? Very possible it is pestering it and will eventually kill it, especially if the clown is very large. What exactly are your parameters? If you are referring to nitrate and phosphate, anemones aren't really that demanding and can handle quite a bit (it may not be ideal, but they can handle it).

TheTriggerfish

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
California
I don't think they'll mind at this point.

How big is the anemone in relation to the maroon clown? Very possible it is pestering it and will eventually kill it, especially if the clown is very large. What exactly are your parameters? If you are referring to nitrate and phosphate, anemones aren't really that demanding and can handle quite a bit (it may not be ideal, but they can handle it).
The maroon clown is pretty big(in comparison too the shrunken anemone now), and he really doesn't want to harm it, he always stays near it. I'm not sure what my parameters are now, I don't test that often since my algae absorbs all my nutrients. Also, do anemones HAVE to be fed, I used to feed mine but stopped for a while.

rcervel

AC Members
Sep 29, 2007
New York
Ok exactly a week ago I got this BTA from my new favorite LFS. He's stayed exactly in the same spot in the tank right in the middle the whole time. I'm feeding him mostly Mysis shrimp, I was hoping it would open up more, how much time until I should be concerned? My 2 false perculas haven't hosted the BTA yet, does that factor in to the time the BTA needs to adjust?

PICT0004.JPG

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The maroon clown is pretty big(in comparison too the shrunken anemone now), and he really doesn't want to harm it, he always stays near it. I'm not sure what my parameters are now, I don't test that often since my algae absorbs all my nutrients. Also, do anemones HAVE to be fed, I used to feed mine but stopped for a while.
For the best health, I consider it a must at a minimum of 2x per week. The main thing I noticed anemones will react to is alkalinity--either too low or too high (especially too high) will result in serious issues, especially if it is prolonged.

Ok exactly a week ago I got this BTA from my new favorite LFS. He's stayed exactly in the same spot in the tank right in the middle the whole time. I'm feeding him mostly Mysis shrimp, I was hoping it would open up more, how much time until I should be concerned? My 2 false perculas haven't hosted the BTA yet, does that factor in to the time the BTA needs to adjust?
No. The fact that they are not hosting is probably to the anemone's benefit right now. When you feed the anemone, does it actually eat the mysid shrimp or does it regurgitate them a few hours later? FWIW, that is an ailing specimen and should be feed often and well with the appropriate foods if it is going to make it. Also make sure water parameters are in check.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store