Tank mates for shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
Other than different species of shrimp are there any fish I could add to my 10 gallon that are too small to affect the shrimp? I have a single cherry in my 10 gallon community (soon to become shrimp colony) and he is completely nocturnal and is even showing camouflaged colors.
Its actually funny because 10 minutes after the lights turn off he is always out grazing but when lights are on he hides in a 1" deep cave he somehow dug under a rock. I don't know how he moved the gravel lol.
But are there any fish that will not bother shrimp at all? I know with most fish shrimp will hide and be less colorful but any success with certain fish?

Thanks

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
I have a little Sparkling Gourami in my 10g tank. He does great and ignores the shrimp. I'm sure he will eat some of the babies when they come, but I can't imagine him being able to eat enough to do much harm. He's really pretty and I like his personality and is about the size of a small cardinal tetra. I have 3 of my 8 shrimp berried up now so I will watch and see how much he does eat. There is plenty of hiding spots and some almond leaves in the tank that they can hide in as well. He is welcome to eat a few.

I know when researching fish mates for my shrimp tank that neon tetra's were one I found that should do well. As well as some of the little celestial pearls. I think it would depend of the personality of the fish. I know some people successfully keep a male betta in their shrimp tanks but that would be a gamble. The same with the sparkling gourami too, I would imagine.

FrenchFry

AC Members
Feb 7, 2011
Otocinclus catfish do very well with shrimp, and even ignore newborns. They are not very showy, but they work hard to keep your tank clean, which is nice.

I think that your cherry shrimp will hide a lot less once it has some more cherry friends in the tank with it. When keeping shrimp with fish, having lots of plants and moss will provide the shrimp with enough cover to feel safe and roam around freely during the day.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Otocinclus catfish do very well with shrimp, and even ignore newborns. They are not very showy, but they work hard to keep your tank clean, which is nice.

I think that your cherry shrimp will hide a lot less once it has some more cherry friends in the tank with it. When keeping shrimp with fish, having lots of plants and moss will provide the shrimp with enough cover to feel safe and roam around freely during the day.
Ottos! Yes, brilliant. I think I may need to add a some if I have room. :D

P.S. Frenchfry...I just sent you a message. :)

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
Anyone have crs or rcs like shrimp with fish and without? The Neons and cherry barbs leave the shrimp alone for the most part but having the fish there just scares them. I had ghost shrimp and they were agressive enough to actually fight the fish for food but smaller shrimp would not. At my lfs I want to say they had danios but I am not sure? They were no more than 3/4" and were kept with amanos in a 5 gallon.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FrenchFry

AC Members
Feb 7, 2011
I keep CRS, RCS, OEBTs, Yellows, and amanos with otocinclus and they do very well together. When I put the food in the tanks the shrimp get there first, and the otos wait patiently for their turn. Otos will not bother your shrimp no matter how small or timid they are.

nahrie

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Canby, OR
Real Name
Julie
I've kept dwarf rasboras, white cloud mountain minnows, bushy nose plecos, bettas, and dwarf gouramis with shrimp no problem. Not all of those fish in the same tank though, obviously LOL.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Surface fish would not eat shrimps. Hatchet fish is one that comes to mind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store