Learn me canister filters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Multiple filters don't make it better for the fish...you are correct in the assumption that the multiple filters won't increase biological filtration..that's a function of total bio-load. However, they do increase the capability to increase mechanical filtration and aid in volume turnover. With your admitted increase in power outages, the more filters you have could be a reason to run two or more to salvage bacteria.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I run two Eheim Classic 2217s on my 125...have for years.

Mark

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
There are filters available for every sized aquarium. If you have a huge tank with large messy fish, and want two filters instead of one larger one, fine. My initial comments were in response to the OP's question if a second filter was necessary with a canister, and the answer to that is certainly no, provided you have an adequate filter for the tank and the intended fish. I'm thinking biologically here, which I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) was the thinking behind the question.

Byron.
Although I'm not the thread OP, that's exactly what I was asking when I expanded on the discussion. I've discussed some of my fish with you in different threads, and am now considering appropriate filters. I have never used a canister type, but am considering one because I've gotten the impression that they work great, are easy to maintain, don't take up tank space, and have intake/output lines that can be put on opposite sides of the tank (better water circulation). The 180g I looked at comes with one - and some other stuff - because it was intended for a saltwater/reef setup. I have a large fish that's known for crashing around and breaking things, notably heaters and thermometers. Been lucky so far that the HOB hasn't been totaled yet, but am now considering a lot of things in order to properly house this fish and his tankmates.

Owensdad74

AC Members
Jul 12, 2014
Thank you all for your input!

We ended up going with a Fluval 206 that should be big enough to handle our tank in tandem with the Whisper 40 HOB filter.

I cant wait to see the improvement it will make in our water quality!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Speaking of under gravel filters, has anyone used a canister setup to do a RFUGF? This to me seems it would be better than a spraybar, my only thought would be not enough surface agitation. In this case, the HOB would suffice for surface agitation, but would the canister driven RFUGF alone work as far as O2 levels are concerned?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yes, have several RUGF...some alone, others with power heads added for increased circulation.

Owensdad74

AC Members
Jul 12, 2014
I think I read somewhere that the water surface need not be broken to pick up oxygen, that waves should suffice.

Can't find the reference off hand...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Speaking of under gravel filters, has anyone used a canister setup to do a RFUGF? This to me seems it would be better than a spraybar, my only thought would be not enough surface agitation. In this case, the HOB would suffice for surface agitation, but would the canister driven RFUGF alone work as far as O2 levels are concerned?
Yes, I have.. but have never been terribly concerned with surface agitation. If you really need gas exchange for your tank water, you can always use an airstone.

I seldom point my spraybar at the surface to get any agitation and have never had a problem.

IME, the point behind RUGF is to keep detritus in the water column so that it can be picked up by regular filters, if you need extra airation/oxygenation, handle that separately if you need. But personally with RUGF, I've had the best luck with powerheads and prefilters, not a cannister filter.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
My thought is the canister will "prefilter" as it were, or rather post filter? normally you would have say a powerhead driving the RUGF to clean substrate, and perhaps a HOB to clean water. With the can, it would use the filtered outlet water to drive the RUGF, and the inlet to filter water. I might try it, but now that I think of it, I tend to use multiple filters so if one fails the other will keep up for a while.....

Dougall, is your succes with PHs over cans due to volume? or some other factor such as ease of maintenance? My current reality is, (now I am back in the fish game)I have more disposible income, but also more caution in spending. I might need to try this.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Dougall, is your succes with PHs over cans due to volume? or some other factor such as ease of maintenance? My current reality is, (now I am back in the fish game)I have more disposible income, but also more caution in spending. I might need to try this.
The problem with using a canister was the plumbing, the weight of the hoses and the pressure of the water made the outflow difficult to attach to the uplift tube.

Using a penguin 660R or the 1140 with the reverse flow kit was so much easier, and all contained in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store