Phosphates and Brown Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I have been using Phos-Zorb for over 6 months continuously in my fish and shrimp tanks. It hasn't hurt them.

BTW, P-Z reduces both phosphate and silicate in the tank so it could help with algae and diatoms. But there are lots of other factors that can cause them to grow. So P-Z isn't a cure all.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Thanks. Everything helps though.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I have BBA problem In my 165. Added phosguard to my filters and its begining to clear up. Oddly enough it only occurs in specific locations in my tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jemanser

AC Members
Nov 22, 2005
ohio
I had diatom( brown algae) in my established FW planted tank recently that has been resurrected( cleaning it up and adding in plants and more fish), after I started to put in trace/micro-nutrients and increase lighting. It grew more on the gravel/plants closest to the window in the room( despite closed shades). I cut back my light a little and also restocked my tank with a rubberlip pleco and a few oto cats which seem to have taken care of the problem nicely. I feed light anyways as well. I had nerite snails in the past and they seem to enjoy this phytoplankton.Essentially increasing my WC and with the addition of my fish the problem was eliminated in a few weeks

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
diatoms....they really prosper in tanks that are new or have new substrate.. they need silicates to form their hard shells..(tiny organisms that they are)

usually don't fare well with flow and light periods are under control. oto's love the stuff and BN's will eat it as well.
they will die off in time are are often associated with 'new tank syndrome'..once the silicates are gone so are the diatoms....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store