New 30 gallon planted tank build.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tbsused0327

AC Members
Jun 28, 2010
I think a standard 30 gallon tank is 36"x12"x16". 32"x12"x16" puts you at 26.6 gallons according to AqAdvisor, so actually slightly smaller volume than your 29 gallon, even though it's a couple inches longer. (29 gallon should be 30"x12"x18". Unless it's actually a 29 long, but in that case it would have a larger footprint than your new tank, not a smaller one.)
What do you mean by footprint? **** man, I didn't even think to check aqadvisor after getting the dimensions. I use that site a lot too

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tbsused0327

AC Members
Jun 28, 2010
Okay I've been leak testing it for a couple days now and it seems to have the world's tiniest leak in one corner. How would I go about re-sealing that corner. Also, would it be worth it or should I just sell it as is?

Symbol

AC Members
Aug 26, 2012
Footprint = floorspace, size of base, horizontal dimensions, length x width/depth, dimensions of the bottom

As for the leak... I've been told, though I've never tried it myself, that putting the tank in a tub and filling both it and the tub with hot water can seal small leaks. Hopefully that'll do the trick. If not, maybe someone more experienced in tank repair can give you some other solutions.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
As for the leak... I've been told, though I've never tried it myself, that putting the tank in a tub and filling both it and the tub with hot water can seal small leaks. Hopefully that'll do the trick. If not, maybe someone more experienced in tank repair can give you some other solutions.
If I'm not mistaken that was a trick for the old metaframe or other slate bottomed tanks that were sealed with a tar rather than with silicone.

The fix, unfortunately, is to remove all the old silicone and then to re-seal the whole tank, there should be plenty of guides around to doing it. The problem is that new silicone won't adhere to old, so you have to clean the whole thing to let the silicone adhere to the glass itself.

tbsused0327

AC Members
Jun 28, 2010
Well thanks for the input, but I'm not doing all of that for one tiny leak.

tbsused0327

AC Members
Jun 28, 2010
Update on free tank. Left full since last post and knee been measuring the water level daily. Tank is not leaking at all!

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Do you have angels in this tank (or festivums or discus)? If so. these types of fish do lay eggs on vertical surfaces such as sword leaves, but they would be guarding them. They don't all look to be the same size (as eggs would be)

tbsused0327

AC Members
Jun 28, 2010
No angels. Molly's and black skirt Tetras. Albino bristlenose pleco. Those are all the fish I have in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store