My 185gal build in progress (lots of pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
I think lighting is making it look more twisted than it is. It's parrallel to the framing 2x4's in the back ground. I think the broom stick is also causing a illusion.

I would still fill it outside and let it sit for a week or two before bringing into the house.

Keep up the good work. Any idea whats going in it?
Still chewing on the stocking questions. All that seems to stay constant is some kinda pleco or catfish. I'd like to go medium sized african community for lots of activity, personality, and color... but having one big centerpiece fish is also an interesting idea.

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
Having a rare centerpiece would be cool but i would be afraid after a few years it may get boring. With such a large tank lots of activity, personality, and color would offer endless entertainment.

What type of structure are you thinking of adding?

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
What type of structure are you thinking of adding?
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean tank decor, or external infrastrcture like filtration, etc?

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
Decoration. I guess being a fisherman structure comes out first.
well I don't know that either yet! I'm thinking dark gravel... I'd really like to use dark crushed granite, but it's got sharp edges, and I really enjoy long-barbed catfish, so that may not be a compatible mix.

After reading the DIY aquarium background thread, I'm inspired to do my own background in a similar way, so I might have artificial rocky caves stuck to the back of the tank, possibly just in the corners, with some driftwood along the bottom in the middle of the tank. I'd like to keep a "deep" dark look to the tank, while having colorful fish, so you can really appreciate the tank as a whole, but the fish stand out when you look at them.

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
I did a rock wall in a 55g using lava rocks; it really brought the tank alive. A couple tips:
Use 100% silicon. I read some instructions stating hot glue or 100% silicon. The glue has no where near the adhesion of the glue. I used glue on half and silicon on the other. On the glue side some of the rocks have seperated from the glass creating a fish trap. Skinny fish like platties will get stuck and die; had three before i found where they went.
I used a thin piece of plexi glass and attached the lava rocks to that. Then attach the plexi glass to the tank. i used pvc for ledges and caves.

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
I have a few ideas... I kinda want to make rockpile/cave structures at either end of the tank, kind of climbing up the back in the rear corners. I have quite a bit of experience with fiberglass - it would be neat to make a hollow rock structure with FG so as to create hiding spaces, and allow me to make large, interesting decorations without displacing a lot of water.

bluerat

im a girl ... not a dude
Oct 7, 2006
hampshire, uk
keep it coming, we want to read and see more

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
keep it coming, we want to read and see more
I'm workin' I'm workin' :p. Problem is at this stage, photos won't show much change... doing small things like fixing nicks and dings, and patching up thin epoxy, etc. I'll have some pics by tonight or tomorrow, promise!

Right now I'm working on the light hood, and a final coat of epoxy on the interior. My glass should be here this week, so I wanna be ready to slam it in.

I also had an idea last night for my background... and I think it's going to be a lot of work, but I think it will be sweeeeet. I need to take a fiberglass mold of the back corners of the tank before I can start... and that will obviously be WAY easier with no glass, so maybe I'll ge tthat done this aft.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store