Need Help!!! Want to start Plant Tank w/sturgeon...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The.Kid9

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
Hi, I am kinda new here and have a few questions to ask.
1) if i was to start a planted tank and start with LOW light plants would i need to have a light for the tank, or can i use the light in the room for it?
2) can a low light planted 55gal long tank have a sterlet sturgeon about 5-6inch in it?
3) would fish would be most recommended for a planted tank?

these are my questions atm...more are most likely to pop up afterwards...TIA...

Cathan

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Burbank California
Hi, I am kinda new here and have a few questions to ask.
1) if i was to start a planted tank and start with LOW light plants would i need to have a light for the tank, or can i use the light in the room for it?
2) can a low light planted 55gal long tank have a sterlet sturgeon about 5-6inch in it?
3) would fish would be most recommended for a planted tank?

these are my questions atm...more are most likely to pop up afterwards...TIA...
PLO think a 6700k light fixture would be better than the normal light in a room. It cannot have a sterlet sturgeon in my opinion. Neon tetras and shrimps/snail would be ideal :D or any tetras/schooling.

The.Kid9

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
PLO think a 6700k light fixture would be better than the normal light in a room. It cannot have a sterlet sturgeon in my opinion. Neon tetras and shrimps/snail would be ideal :D or any tetras/schooling.
Thanks...and can you tell me why it cant have a sturgeon in your opinion???

The.Kid9

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
They grow up to 5 feet in what I read. I think it'll need more room. I'd give it a min of 100 gallons so it'll be happy.
Thanks...apparently im trying to grow it out in the 55gal and is on the road of trying to get a bigger tank...as for now if i was to start the planted tank my only concern is will it try to eat my plants...

srry if it seems like im a hard-headed person but MAYBE since the sturgeon is still little, i just think that it can be placed in a 55long tank until it grows a little bit bigger....

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
You can stunt its growth by putting it in a tank far far to small for such a huge fish. It will be smaller and live a much shorter time in addition to being more prone to disease. Also it is NEVER a good ide a to buy a fish that you know is to big and have to upgrade to accomodate it. Because its probably not going to happen or it wont happen in time or a big enough upgrade. You also cant count on being able to rehome it even for free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cathan

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Burbank California
Well, sooner or later it's either a tank upgrade ( fun ) or let go if it ( not fun ).

Im sure for now it'll be fine. And I don't think you should turn it into a planted with that in their. Has a chance if eating it.

The.Kid9

AC Members
Mar 6, 2012
You can stunt its growth by putting it in a tank far far to small for such a huge fish. It will be smaller and live a much shorter time in addition to being more prone to disease. Also it is NEVER a good ide a to buy a fish that you know is to big and have to upgrade to accomodate it. Because its probably not going to happen or it wont happen in time or a big enough upgrade. You also cant count on being able to rehome it even for free.

Thanks...but I am not counting on rehoming him or selling him...Im working really hard to find and buy a 150gal+ wide tank for it...its just that every tank i come across is either over price or having minor problems...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Well, sooner or later it's either a tank upgrade ( fun ) or let go if it ( not fun ).

Im sure for now it'll be fine. And I don't think you should turn it into a planted with that in their. Has a chance if eating it.
Ok thanks...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store