Why my Ammonia is high and my pH level crashed again?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Thanks Patricia. That does answer my question. I was curious as to the fish load/plant load/tank volume, looking for possible causes for the ammonia. But there is certainly no overstocking of fish, and the plants include some faster growing species (which take up more ammonia obviously). So that eliminates that option. Which still leaves me stumped as to this ammonia showing up in tests. You are not overfeeding, I assume.

The plants will undoubtedly respond well with the Flourish Comprehensive Supplement (the liquid you have ordered). I believe previously I suggested reducing the light; I would have no more than two of the present three bulbs. Nothing to do with ammonia, but this will be better. The Java Fern will almost certainly improve with less light and the Flourish Comp. I have the best luck with this plant under the shade of floating plants.

Byron.

Miguel

fan of the apistos
Feb 27, 2004
Montgomery MN
Visit site
What water conditioner are you using? I have heard that you can get false readings when using certain products. Also what type of ammonia test do you have? Strips or Liquid? I would also check to see if the tests are not expired. It is a possiblity that the test is outdated and not giving an accurate reading.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Good points.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Thanks Patricia. That does answer my question. I was curious as to the fish load/plant load/tank volume, looking for possible causes for the ammonia. But there is certainly no overstocking of fish, and the plants include some faster growing species (which take up more ammonia obviously). So that eliminates that option. Which still leaves me stumped as to this ammonia showing up in tests. You are not overfeeding, I assume.

The plants will undoubtedly respond well with the Flourish Comprehensive Supplement (the liquid you have ordered). I believe previously I suggested reducing the light; I would have no more than two of the present three bulbs. Nothing to do with ammonia, but this will be better. The Java Fern will almost certainly improve with less light and the Flourish Comp. I have the best luck with this plant under the shade of floating plants.

Byron.
Thanks Byron for the tip in floating plants. I would also remove one bulb.
What water conditioner are you using? I have heard that you can get false readings when using certain products. Also what type of ammonia test do you have? Strips or Liquid? I would also check to see if the tests are not expired. It is a possiblity that the test is outdated and not giving an accurate reading.
Thanks for helping out. I use Seachem Prime water conditioner. I use the liquid API freshwater water testing kit. I also checked the date and it's not expired.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Updated Water Parameters:
Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
pH 6.0

Still stump on the ammonia :confused:
Other than the ammonia issue the tank looks great
uploadfromtaptalk1398260626929.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1398260626929.jpg

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
A puzzle, the ammonia, but nevertheless, no issues I can see now.

Something else just occurred to me; do you have chloramine in the tap water, or just chlorine? Check with the water folks if you don't know. Chloramine has a connection to ammonia, to retain the disinfecting aspect longer than chlorine alone which dissipates rapidly.

Byron.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
A puzzle, the ammonia, but nevertheless, no issues I can see now.

Something else just occurred to me; do you have chloramine in the tap water, or just chlorine? Check with the water folks if you don't know. Chloramine has a connection to ammonia, to retain the disinfecting aspect longer than chlorine alone which dissipates rapidly.

Byron.
I checked the 2013 NYC water supply report I think it didn't mention Chloramine. Unless it it's written differently.

Miguel

fan of the apistos
Feb 27, 2004
Montgomery MN
Visit site
Going with Byron question, not sure if it is Prime or not but some water conditioners neutralizes Ammonia by converting it to Ammonium. It could be that since the test doesn't differentiate which form of Ammonium is in the water. That would give you a false reading saying that there is Ammonium when in fact it could be non toxic forms of ammonia.
http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime.html

While trying to varify this I came accross this FAQ from Prime and it seems to be the answer to the problem.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Yes, Miguel, Prime does detoxify ammonia by changing it to ammonium, and according to Seachem this does not reverse, i.e., it remains ammonium. Plants and bacteria will readily take this up.

I asked about the chloramine thinking this could be the source of the 1ppm ammonia. Frankly, with those plants and so few fish, I am at a loss as to where it could possibly be originating (it is not in the source water, we dealt with that earlier and now here). Just keep monitoring it Patricia.

Now I'll suggest something respecting your conditioner, Prime. I myself would not use this in your situation. I don't like to see chemicals having no purpose being dumped into an aquarium; if one has ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in the source water, then Prime is the conditioner to use. But without these issues, I would recommend one that messes around less with the biology. With live plants, and bacteria, I consider it better to leave the nitrification to them and not add something that is going to interfere. Just my simple thinking, for what it may be worth.

Byron.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Going with Byron question, not sure if it is Prime or not but some water conditioners neutralizes Ammonia by converting it to Ammonium. It could be that since the test doesn't differentiate which form of Ammonium is in the water. That would give you a false reading saying that there is Ammonium when in fact it could be non toxic forms of ammonia.
http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime.html

While trying to varify this I came accross this FAQ from Prime and it seems to be the answer to the problem.
Thanks Miguel for the link and help.
Yes, Miguel, Prime does detoxify ammonia by changing it to ammonium, and according to Seachem this does not reverse, i.e., it remains ammonium. Plants and bacteria will readily take this up.

I asked about the chloramine thinking this could be the source of the 1ppm ammonia. Frankly, with those plants and so few fish, I am at a loss as to where it could possibly be originating (it is not in the source water, we dealt with that earlier and now here). Just keep monitoring it Patricia.

Now I'll suggest something respecting your conditioner, Prime. I myself would not use this in your situation. I don't like to see chemicals having no purpose being dumped into an aquarium; if one has ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in the source water, then Prime is the conditioner to use. But without these issues, I would recommend one that messes around less with the biology. With live plants, and bacteria, I consider it better to leave the nitrification to them and not add something that is going to interfere. Just my simple thinking, for what it may be worth.

Byron.
Byron thanks again. What really baffles me is that I didn't get readings of ammonia after my tank cycled, until my old tank leaked.

I am now realizing that the filter and filter media stood in tank water without oxygenation for several hours!
Also the gravel completely dried up too.

Would these be the cause of my Ammonia readings?
Would dosing Prime more than recommended (trying to save fish from the ammonia readings) also cause false readings?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store