My 185gal build in progress (lots of pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lancerland

New Fish Fanatic
Apr 17, 2007
North side of Chicago
Very cool, I love to see the progress here, I just wish I wouldn't have stumbled upon this while at work, I just wasted about 1 hour reading

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It may be the camera angle, I don't know, but it looks like the tank has a big twist in it. The back is lower and the top twisted towards the camera so you can see the top. While on the left it is up and twisted to the front...??

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
It may be the camera angle, I don't know, but it looks like the tank has a big twist in it. The back is lower and the top twisted towards the camera so you can see the top. While on the left it is up and twisted to the front...??
Yeah, I noticed that when I was looking at those pictures today. I looked at it pretty carefully while I was taking the pics and I didn't notice it, so I'm hoping it's a trick of the light. I will inspect it with a square this evening.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Okay, just a thought. Maybe it will pull to when filled...?

redswi

AC Members
Jan 12, 2007
I'm thinking that the twist is not really going to be a problem....

#1 all the joints have been glue and screwed, with a quality adhesive this joint is usually stonger than the material itself.

#2 the top rim will lock the sides, and back together at the top.

#3 everything has been epoxied, and gellcoated...basicly creating a flexible shell inside a solid box.

#4 the glass will have a double seal...1 where it meets the sides top and bottom, and 1 where it meets the face frame.

the only place I can see extra presure from a twist being an issue is against the glass, and that can easily be fixed with the thickness.

I think this as I look at my 40gal corner tank. It was an experiment in itself because I made it from Corian...I look at it now after 6 months, and I can see now that it has settled with a 1/4 lean toward the left front... with the solid construction, and the double seal at the glass I'm not worried at all

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
My only thought is that up until now, everything has hardened/sealed. When you fill with water, now it twists back and breaks those hardened connections.

redswi

AC Members
Jan 12, 2007
early on he mentions industrial formulator's cold cure epoxy. I believe that product stays flexible. it is used as an industrial floor sealant for cold temperatures.

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
early on he mentions industrial formulator's cold cure epoxy. I believe that product stays flexible. it is used as an industrial floor sealant for cold temperatures.
It's an all purpose epoxy resin, but it does stay relatively flexible. I don't anticipate a lot of flexing as I fill it, because as I was saying the base sits flat on the stand. If The bottom was twisted, I'd be a lot more worried.

I looked at it with a square pretty carefully tonight, and I think it's mostly a trick of the light in those photos. There IS a slight twist of about 3/8" to the front and back of the tank; I talked about that earlier. Hopefully using a generous pead of silicone around the glass will leave some flexibility to account for that.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Sounds good! Just don't want to see all your hard work go down the drain.

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
I think lighting is making it look more twisted than it is. It's parrallel to the framing 2x4's in the back ground. I think the broom stick is also causing a illusion.

I would still fill it outside and let it sit for a week or two before bringing into the house.

Keep up the good work. Any idea whats going in it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store