Thinking about switching to salt...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Niko2021

AC Members
Oct 11, 2011
Woah, I never said you don't need good filtration on a reef tank. I said it doesn't have to be as good as one for a fish only tank, one containing large fish. You can run a reef with, like i said, a wet dry sump with a moderate turn over, a protein skimmer. I said a reef doesn't need as great of a filtration system, come on guys. I was trying to emphasize that your strong point in a reef should be lighting, not filtration, which doesn't mean that you can have inferior filters on a reef. A reef tank, even up to 120 gallons, only truly needs a sump for mechanical and biological filtration, a skimmer, and very plentiful lighting. A true reef would in turn care for itself. I know this because I've maintained a 120 gallon reef tank for 5 years with that set up. No major losses.

Niko2021

AC Members
Oct 11, 2011
Woah, I never said you don't need good filtration on a reef tank. I said it doesn't have to be as good as one for a fish only tank, one containing large fish. You can run a reef with, like i said, a wet dry sump with a moderate turn over, a protein skimmer. I said a reef doesn't need as great of a filtration system, come on guys. I was trying to emphasize that your strong point in a reef should be lighting, not filtration, which doesn't mean that you can have inferior filters on a reef. A reef tank, even up to 120 gallons, only truly needs a sump for mechanical and biological filtration, a skimmer, and very plentiful lighting. A true reef would in turn care for itself. I know this because I've maintained a 120 gallon reef tank for 5 years with that set up. No major losses.
Forgot to mention a refugium as well. :) No nitrate problems

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I'm sorry but I don't follow this logic at all. Excess nutrients in a reef tank leads to all sorts of problems including lack of coloration and polyp extension amongst stoney corals. Lighting is definitely a key component to a successful reef but clean water is the foundation of any marine tank.

Love to see some pics of your 120. That is my dream size tank!

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I'm sorry but I don't follow this logic at all. Excess nutrients in a reef tank leads to all sorts of problems including lack of coloration and polyp extension amongst stoney corals. Lighting is definitely a key component to a successful reef but clean water is the foundation of any marine tank.

Love to see some pics of your 120. That is my dream size tank!
Nice size, I would love something I could keep a yellow tang in.

Niko2021

AC Members
Oct 11, 2011
Yeah, I'm all for having good filtration. But although I wouldn't advise it, I've seen great experienced reef setups around 55 gallons with just a HOB skimmer/filter, more than ample lighting, and high water current. Of course he did heavy water changes, but it is possible once you have a stable reef that's thriving.
As for OP's canister filter, I'd personally would never use a canister filter for a marine tank, but not saying it's impossible. It'll probably be a nitrate factory, might have to change media faster as well. It'll probably make things harder for you in the long run. Reef keeping is only as difficult as you make it ;)

Last edited:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Complete agree Niko!

While significantly more important IME, I guess I would lump water changes in with "filtration". You can certainly make things as simple as you want but understanding there are sometimes limitations (based on how hard you are willing to work) makes all the difference.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
im debating on what kind of dry rock to get. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/eco-rox-fiji-dry-rock

i was considering getting 30 lbs of pukani, and then some live rock from the lfs. I believe they only have fiji and whatever their "premium" rock is. I havent been there recently enough to ask.
So would the pukani and fiji rock look ok together? or should i get 15 lbs of fiji and 15 of pukani from brs and then the rock from the lfs? what would my best option be?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The pukani is some of the best looking rock you can get but it is not clean and some have reported having some excess nutrient issues that they attribute to all the decayed matter in the nooks and crannies. I did exactly what you are planning. I did seem to have an extended diatom bloom but I can't say for sure it was the pukani.

If you want to be safe either cure the pukani out of the display and/or hit it with a pressure washer. The reef saver and figi rocks are really clean and they come in some great shapes too. You won't be disappointed either way you go.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Cool, i can pressure wash them so that shouldnt be an issue, i however have a don't have a place to cure them, so its going to have to be in the tank. Does 30 lbs of pukani sound like enough? Im not sure how much i will get from the lfs, seeing as their prices are anywhere from 6 to 10 dollars a pound.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Also, i have a koralia nano 240 i believe, would another koralia 550 or 750 be enough?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store