What to do with unwanted fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
So I recently got back into the hobby. Someone was moving and had a 10 gallon tank and was going to flush the fish and toss the setup if I didn't want to take it. SO naturally I have a "new" 10 gallon tank. I have already changed out the red gravel for something more natural, got rid of the castle and pvc fittings used for decor/hiding places, put in a few fake plants, replaced the nonadjustable heater for a proper one, and cleaned it up quite a bit. I think it's underfiltered, but I tend to over filter a bit and might dig up some of my old gear to handle that issue. The tank came with 2 khuli loaches I plan to keep. Also are 1 black neon, 1 tinfoil barb, and 1 tiger barb. Obviously the TFB needs to go, Im not a fan of the tigers, and I feel to get the full enjoyment of neons you need at least a 30 gallon and a decent school. So first, if anyone in the stocton, manteca, modesta california area wants them, let me know. Free of charge and I could meet you somewhere. Since that's a longshot, what do you think I should do? The nearest mom and pop fish shop I trust is about 25 minutes from me. Does anyone know if a box store like Petsmart will take them? Is that even a good idea since they will likely end up in someone else's 10 gallon? Or should I just suck it up and wait untill I have the money to go to the good fish shop and bring em in? Do you think maybe I'm just posting this to put my thought in writing so I can see the inevitable? :screwy:

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
Good question. Most of us, hopefully, would vote against flushing them so your only options are to sell them or give them away. One thing you can't do is be concerned about what happens to them in the tank of someone else. Pet stores certainly don't, (Tinfoil Barb in a 10g). Your best bet would be to take that trip and give them away.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Agree. If you have a local aquarium club see if anyone there is willing to take them. The fish store is second; some stores will destroy fish someone brings them, for obvious reasons, if they cannot quarantine them safely.

Times occur to most of us when we have to euthanize fish. There is much debate about the "kindest" methods, but the one I have long used was actually suggested as one of the most humane in an article in Amazonas [or it may have been Practical Fishkeeping] last year. I net the fish out and place it on a folded over paper towel, fold this all around the fish, then place it on a hard surface and give it a couple solid whacks. This is not more stressful than any netting out of a fish, and it is killed instantly.

Byron.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
..flushing them isn't an option lol. LFS or locals.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
..flushing them isn't an option lol. LFS or locals.
I did flush a fish once many years ago when I was a newbie fish keeper. This guy was a hyper-aggressive Endler's live-bearer who terrorized every other male in the tank.
After guiltily flushing him I returned an hour or so later to take care of personnel business, and to my surprise he was still in there, seemingly glaring at me..

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
You could always try Craigslist. I have great success getting rid of stuff there. People love to get something for nothing.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Me thinks try a shot at giving them away. If having them stops your plans...you will resort to euthanizing them.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If you can't give them away via craig's list call the lfs before just showing up with them. They may not have a tank they can go in ATM & it'd save a trip.

Oh & if you can get a few more kuhlis of the same kind, although a 10g is a bit small for them.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Do you have a local aquaria group on FB?

The only time I gave away fish was through my local FB group.

They were re-homed to a good home in a few days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store