best cold water fish, for a pond, to eat :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
My guess (and it is just that), is that there are things in the fish food that humans should not be eating. If the fish eat it, their bodies contain it, and the fish then becomes something that humans should not eat.
That may be the case in some instances, but the real reason is regulatory in nature. You can walk into any pet store and buy antibiotics over the counter that are identical in every way to that which you get by prescription at a pharmacy. The only difference is that little disclaimer "not intended for human consumption".

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I get a bacterial infection, lol

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
The BEST fresh water fish for eating...... is WALLEYE. And they are cold water as well. We have loads of them up here in Colorado. Water is plenty cold.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
That may be the case in some instances, but the real reason is regulatory in nature. You can walk into any pet store and buy antibiotics over the counter that are identical in every way to that which you get by prescription at a pharmacy. The only difference is that little disclaimer "not intended for human consumption".
Like penicillin/amoxicillan drugs? Under what brand name? I assume you mean for fish. I have never seen any OTC antibiotics for dogs or cats, and I have looked. I would love to buy OTC antibiotics!

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
Most of this "not for human consumption" stuff, is most likely what subrosa keeps talking of.
Once it becomes something "for humans"(namely, supplying to humans) Big Brother has his nose all up in your business, like that dog you just met for the first time.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
one issue i think would be the dechlorinator used in the pond. most dechlors state on the bottle that it is not to be used with fish for food consumption. 'for use with ornamental fish only' is what i recall seeing on my dechlor bottle. you'd need to find a dechlor that is safe for use when eating the fish.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Ohio is not always a "cold water" state. I live in PA (similar climate) and last summer when we were camping, there were scores of dead carp in the river we camp near. The water was like bath water - and that's a flowing system that theoretically should have more O2. I can only imagine how O2 depleted a closed system would be in those conditions (unless it was really deep).

All the Rock Bass, Smallmouth Bass and various sunfish we caught were none the worse for wear however. Maybe investigate those species (although Smallmouth and Rock Bass are usually riverine species). Largemouth Bass can manage at a wide variety of temps as well.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
one issue i think would be the dechlorinator used in the pond. most dechlors state on the bottle that it is not to be used with fish for food consumption. 'for use with ornamental fish only' is what i recall seeing on my dechlor bottle. you'd need to find a dechlor that is safe for use when eating the fish.
For the same reasons as the fish food, although if you're really paranoid prefiltering added water through activated carbon will do the trick.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Some fish species do not taste good when fed fish foods. The food they are fed commercially is probably very different than our food and is probably aimed at making them grow faster and probably doesnt support long term life like the fish foods we feed normally. I know farm raised pacu in the amazon dont taste good while the wild caught ones taste very good since their diet consists of nuts. Just something to consider... idk if catfish eating pellets would taste very good to you when you ate it. I think a fish that eats another fish would be the best off in that standpoint.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store