Cory Catfish swim really fast to the top normal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yld

AC Members
Mar 30, 2011
Sunshine State
I have a Emerald Cory and I notice sometimes he just swim really fast to the top and go straight back down. Is that normal? Sometimes he look like he is dead since he doesn't move for a long time an then he suddenly does that. Very weird fish.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
totally normal behavior for corys from what I've seen in my fish as well as research, I find it rather endearing.

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
I thought it was them going to get air??? Maybe I'm wrong.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Definitely normal behavior. I find the emeralds and the albinos are kinda lazy. My sterbai are all over the place!!

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
I thought it was them going to get air??? Maybe I'm wrong.
For other fish yes, but corys continue the behavior in well oxygenated water (if my tank is low o2 then there is a secret society of oxygen sucking gremlins hiding in the silicone).

yld

AC Members
Mar 30, 2011
Sunshine State
Thanks for the response. Is my first time with a Cory so I thought something was wrong. But is normal then huh! What a crazy fish lol it's funny

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
wait....A <---- (singular) cory? corys do like to be kept in a group of +6, (rarely a problem as they are fastidious little fish).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store