Dual Tank System Build Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
So on the sump size issue, here's what I figured (please feel free to check my math!).

~45ft of pvc per type (3/4" and 2") This is both runs per pipe size added together (rough estimate).

I realize these are outside dimensions, I'm overestimating on purpose. Better safe than sorry.

2" pipes | 3.14 x (1)^2 X45 X 12 = 1695 sq in / 251 = 6.75 Gallons

3/4" pipes | 3.14 x (.375)^2 X 4 5X 12 = 235.5 sq in / 251 = 1 Gallon

+

Tanks runoff | 48 X 20 X 1 = 960 sq in / 251 = 4g x 2 = 8 Gallons

So overestimating it looks like I need to account for about 16 gallons of back flow. For some reason that doesn't seem right, that doesn't seem like enough water. Did I miss something?

If that is correct, a 55g 3/4 full should provide plenty of space for back flow. What am I missing?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
That seems about right, and still be over estimating. The overflow pipes are not usually 100% full also. So out of the 16G estimated I am thinking you will have about 10-12G of actual back flow. For someone like me, 10G of backflow on my sump would really be pushing it, actually I think I would have a sump overflow with that. I am using a 34G rubbermaid tub that is 2/3 full on my 75G tank.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
After reading through this (and a few other sites to corroborate):

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

I feel pretty confident the floor strength is not an issue. I am placing these tanks directly on top of a load bearing wall below (that's 20" thick) and spans the entire length of the area the tanks will rest.

I talked to the builder, he came and took a look and seemed to think it would be fine. I pretty much got the message that no one is going to 'guarantee' anything anyway even if I pay them.

So I think I am going to move forward at this point. Since I am still waiting on the display tanks, i might start working on the equipment cabinet in the meantime.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
This is my initial plan for the cabinet/plumping. Obviously I've left some out for simplicities sake (plumbing from RO/DI, from Water change, etc).

Through drawing this I think I have determined the sump pretty much needs to be a 75g. I don't think I can have enough area in the return section in order to facilitate the needed 50g water changes (20%).

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Now, time to think about equipment that is going into the sump. The heater(s) you would need for 2 100G+50G sump would be around 750w worth of heaters. Those are going to take up some room. In your first chamber of your overflow I highly recommend using filter socks, so that takes up room. Then you have the skimmer to place as well as media reactors if you are going to use those.

So, that said, I would make the first chamber larger to be able to hold the socks+skimmer. The media reactor you can hang above the sump and T off of one of your return lines to feed the reactor (doesn't take much flow so no worries about losing much of your return rate). Middle chamber I would make as small as possible, just enough to hold your 2 return pumps with a little wiggle room added. Refugium chamber seems fine.

The baffles I am assuming you just put them on the picture to show where they would go and do not accurately represent the actual size of the baffles or else your water level would have to be really high in the sump.

One last thing, on your return line I would try and avoid 90degree elbos, using 2 45degrees instead so you don't reduce the flow.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Now, time to think about equipment that is going into the sump. The heater(s) you would need for 2 100G+50G sump would be around 750w worth of heaters. Those are going to take up some room. In your first chamber of your overflow I highly recommend using filter socks, so that takes up room. Then you have the skimmer to place as well as media reactors if you are going to use those.

So, that said, I would make the first chamber larger to be able to hold the socks+skimmer. The media reactor you can hang above the sump and T off of one of your return lines to feed the reactor (doesn't take much flow so no worries about losing much of your return rate). Middle chamber I would make as small as possible, just enough to hold your 2 return pumps with a little wiggle room added. Refugium chamber seems fine.

The baffles I am assuming you just put them on the picture to show where they would go and do not accurately represent the actual size of the baffles or else your water level would have to be really high in the sump.

One last thing, on your return line I would try and avoid 90degree elbos, using 2 45degrees instead so you don't reduce the flow.
Thanks Ace, ya it's not to scale or even accurate, just a rough representation of the general layout.

I agree with you on the first chamber, the issue I was running into is that the return chamber needs to hold 50g of water in order to do the water changes (as 50g is about 20% of the total water volume). So I'm going to have to really look at it and see how to make that work. That or I also need to somehow drain the first chamber too.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Just make your baffles really small so that when you do a water change you are pulling out most of the water from all the chambers, only leaving a few inches on the bottom. With a good skimmer and filter socks, micro bubbles getting back to your tanks should not be an issue. I don't have any baffles in the sump/rubbermaid container on my 75G tank. I just filled the last 1/3 of the container with live rock and the return pump is buried under the rock. This way any bubbles that I may get still get blocked by the live rock on my setup.

Here is a picture of mine to give you a visual aid and see if anything on my setup will help you out. Pay no attention to the temp on the chiller, that is not the actual temp. I have the chiller pump set to turn off/on at temps and when it is off the temp reading is really low since no water is going through it. :)

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Here's a quick link to my dual tank build. I don't have plumbing diagrams yet, but you can get the idea. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222392

Wanna race? :grinyes:

I really do appreciate the detail you have put in here so far. I plan on stealing some idea's, although mine will all be fresh water.
Well seeing as how you already have your tanks, I think you are going to win!

I hope to start work, at least basic stuff, later this week or coming weekend.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store