Lots of pictures of the display (60g) and refugium (20L).

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Well on the good side, the Gurnard started accepting frozen mysis. Not sure if he is getting more confident or if it is because he is now alone in the refugium. The Pipefish stopped eating the last couple and was found earlier today. Was a wild catch to begin with so was never sure exactly how healthy it was. Now the Gurnard is flying around the refugium and chasing ghost shrimp.

I'm really hoping this fish gets more confident as it gets older. Right now it is practically afraid of its own shadow. Although the chasing (instead of backing away in terror) of ghost shrimp seems to be a good sign of increased confidence.

He also appears to take flakes but those have to practically land on top of him for him to look at them. Still experimenting with pellets but they seem to be the same, except a bit more difficult since they end up under the fish and not noticed. Think it'll accept them though eventually. Any food that tumbles along the sand in front of him seems to be fair game. Mysis is the only one he'll actually chase in the water so far though.

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
System looks good and diverse. I *think* the blobs are dead/decaying peanut worms.

On a separate note, I love that refugium. It is my ideal for one. Any plans on adding more plants/macroalgae?

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
From a Google search you may be right about it being a dead peanut worm. Never seen a live one in the tank, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't in there. Granted I've been assuming every fan sticking out of rocks/sand I see is a standard Feather Duster so maybe I do see them.

Haven't really put a lot of plans into more. Right now it has Taxifolia (which is forming a nice grassbed), Halidema (which somehow co-exists with the Taxifolia) and Green Hair Algae (I actually like this stuff, as long as it stays under control). I have some form of sea grass in there, but it is rather small so it is having trouble building up enough of a population to truly compete. I've tried Scroll Algae and something that looked like a form of Gracilaria. Both came from the intercoastal here. They did okay but they were constantly breaking off pieces. It was worse then when I had the freshwater tank filled with Water Sprite. Also tried a Shaving Brush Algae a while ago that didn't work, but may consider trying it again.

May try more Red Mangroves if the one in there can be controlled. The problem I have with them is that if they are cut too early they die, so I have to see if this one won't outgrow the tank before I'm able to start trimming it and controlling its size. It's already halfway to the lights now.

The main tank has reached an interesting balance. Think I lost a lot of the coralline that was forming, but the Green and Purple Hair Algae gives the rocks a rather similar natural look. The Urchins/Blennies/Angels seem more then happy to keep the Hair Algae mowed down and under control. I actually rather like the look of it, as long as it doesn't grow too thick.

Most likely I'll wait till I upgrade the display tank to expand on what is in the refugium. Figure a 5' refugium should give enough room for just about anything to grow. :evil_lol: That part of the project is probably still a little ways off though.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
The Condy seems to have decided it likes that spot. Has basically been digging in and taking over the area. Tried feeding it last night and it seemed quite happy to snatch the food away. Gave it about half a shrimp from the supermarket. May have been a little too much since it spit out half that this morning.

This was the Condy when the lights were turned on. It isn't easy to see, but that blur is the Eibli trying to figure out how to get to the shrimp bits that were spit out. :rofl:

The Condy calmed down a bit to this about a half-hour later. Guess I'll try a little less shrimp when I feed it again in a couple days. Would it be best to feed it a little bit every day or a bit more every 2-3 days?

Got a shot of one of the more reclusive tank inhabitants, the Crown Conch. Lesson learned from this one, even if you think you know what a creature is and what it does, research doesn't hurt. Always thought these were just like fighting conchs. Oops, not even a conch. Although I haven't noticed any snails deaths. It actually behaves like a giant nocturnal Nassarius Snail. Comes out when the lights are turned off, if it smells food, cleans up then digs back down into the sand. It took up home in what is effectively, not so much a dead-spot as a garbage dump. There is flow through there, but it is the weakest point in the tank so any heavy waste/food collects there. I now drop the occasional shrimp pellets back there if I see it out and about. I don't think it is trapped, but it doesn't seem to want to leave the cavern.

An updated FTS of the refugium.

Refugium from above.

A tribute to the hardiness of mushroom corals. It was once a couple of inches across, until the Hawaiian Spotted Toby got a hold of it.

Green Star Polyps seem to be enjoying the safe environment.

Something upset the Xenia. Not sure if it was one of the Angels or coral warfare. I put it a little close to the Condy (maybe 8-9 inches away) so maybe it didn't appreciate that.

The Gurnard is really settling in nicely now. He not only eats, but he attacks the turkey baster when the food stops coming out. He eats about half a cube of mysis shrimp. Had a couple scares but he seems to be handling it all good. Wings got beaten up in the main tank, still not sure if it was stress or fin-nipping. Then a few days after going in the refugium he decided to investigate behind the return pump. The pump didn't hurt him, but he couldn't figure out how to get out. Had to dig out the filter, move it slightly, then chase him up and out. Which is why the pump is now surrounded on top by rock rubble, blocking any paths behind/under the pump.

He has taken a liking to the Ghost Shrimp neighbors. Still can't seem to eat them, but not for lack of trying. :rofl:

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Don't feed the anemone daily. At most, feed every other day, since their digestive processes limit them to about that much even at very warm temps. Do as you surmised and try much smaller pieces (and less food overall, not just in smaller bits) and work upward. You'll find the threshold at which they will egest too much food. If it continues to do so, simply switch meat types--try fish meat, like silversides, for example. Also, if possible, try to find krill or some sort of whole food. When feeding, try to feed any and every part possible in small bit and manageable amounts. This prevents any nutritional issues.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Nice update. Definitely chop of the foods you give to the nem to help with digestion. Mysis should be fine for a nem that size too. Some have reported their nems getting sick from larger food rotting inside them should the nem not want to spit it out.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
I've been thinking about switching to silversides. Seem a bit easier to work with. Also since I'm using the frozen foods for the Swamp Eel in the freshwater tank (he'll take large shrimp but really seems more excited over fish meat), I'm gonna end up getting silversides for him soon anyways.

I understand the concept of leaving everything intact and making sure the Condy gets a full diet, with fish. How does that work with shrimp? I've gotten in the habit of de-shelling the shrimp as I rinse/defrost them since the fish always ignored the shell/head on the large shrimp. I'd end up with shrimp shell tumbling around days later. Would it be better for the anemone to leave the shell/head on the shrimp?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
With large shrimp, it's not particularly feasible. With smaller ones and krill, simply chop everything, including the shell. The shell is never a problem, assuming there aren't any long, sharp edges (like on large prawns or "table shrimp"). Yes, the head has quite a few nutrients that the body lacks. It is preferable to keep it intact, but consider the aforementioned in the process.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I have no experience feeding silversides but I have read a number of threads on reefcentral's anemone forum pointing to bad silversides as the demise of several nems. One of the more verteran mods over there won't feed them at all anymore. Just thought I would mention it. I would have to imagine that you take a chnace with any frozen food that may have thawed/partially thawed in transit.

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I have no experience feeding silversides but I have read a number of threads on reefcentral's anemone forum point to bad silversides as the demise of several nems. One of the more verteran mods over there won;t feed them at all anymore. Just thought I would mention it. I would have to imagine that you take a chnace with any frozen food that may have thawed/partially thawed in transit.
Hmm... seems the mod in question has changed their opinion over the last few years. I wonder if it is traceable to a certain brand or possible mishandling/thawing prior to purchase. I had used silversides for a very long time, but I haven't used any for about the last 3 years or so, since I no longer have my anemone. Quality may have declined for a brand or two, but it seems unlikely as a blanket issue. Honestly, I refuse to use local prawns/table shrimp, because my anemone always reacted poorly no matter what measures I took. Potential contaminants were always a concern, so I stopped using local stuff. I'll have to find the threads about it...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store