Siamese Algae Eater (SAE) questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
thanks jeff. the store here told me it was the real deal. i looked at descriptions to see the difference between the true and false. i already had flying foxes so i knew it wouldnt be them. they are 3 for 5 dollars and all over an inch. compared to the internet price it seems amazing. thanks for your help. i see them nibbling at things but no luck with the bba yet. ill give it time. ill starve them next week for 2-3 days. now i think there is enough other types of algae for them that starvation wont work.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
that IS a great price for them and you were fantastic in doing your homework before paying for them. Thy don't sell them anywhere I know of close by to me so I would up ordering mine online and so paid a shipping charge on top. You have faound a fantastic deal all the way around, jaysen. Good luck with them.

jaysen

Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
thanks...hoping they all grow to 6 inches like my friends. also hoping they decide it is time to eat the bba lol. right now they actually nibble on things here and there but are sure to swim to the top when i feed flakes. as long as they eat i know they are healthy.

jaysen

Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
found out today from another thread that i have staghorn algae and not so much bba. i got nervous on what to do but to my amazement my sae's were ripping at it. there is tons of it, but im happy they are showing interest( until i fed the tank). is there anything they cant do?
here are some pics of them grazing.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Just curious if any other SAE owner has ones with yellow fins? It often comes up in discussion that true SAE's have clear fins with no color but as mine aged they definately have yellow fins. All other features identify them as true SAE's so I am pretty confident there, just curious if others have a yellow finned 'variant'?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Just curious if any other SAE owner has ones with yellow fins? It often comes up in discussion that true SAE's have clear fins with no color but as mine aged they definately have yellow fins. All other features identify them as true SAE's so I am pretty confident there, just curious if others have a yellow finned 'variant'?
You know, Tristan, I think I've seen that fish before. It rings a bell. There's a picture somewhere I've looked but I really can't remember although it's definitely a true SAE.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Will these guys eat hair algae too? I have that stuff everywhere in my 55 and can't get it under control.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store