Freshwater cycling

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NewbieFish

I hope I don't mess up
Mar 17, 2008
Canada
if i were to set up an aquarium with live plants, how does that change my cycling? do i add live plants the first day along with the decor, rocks, filtration, etc. or do i leave the plants out so that the bacteria can have access to the nitrates and only put the plants in after the tank has been established?
I have the same question and another of my own.

Can I cycle a new filter with Goldfish (since they are tough) and then switch the entire system to tropical afterwards?

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
I have the same question and another of my own.

Can I cycle a new filter with Goldfish (since they are tough) and then switch the entire system to tropical afterwards?
Plants HELP cycles, because beneficial bacteria cling onto plants so you're actually kinda seeding your tank already. Add the plants into the tank when you set everything up. They will only HELP and will do no harm. It will also speed your cycle up and reduce a week or two if you heavily plant the tank.

You can use goldfish to cycle a tank. Is it a feeder goldfish? Make sure they aren't diseased. If you add plants though, you probably won't even need a goldfish to start the cycle. Just add in pure ammonia and the bacteria on the plants will get to work straight away.

Malak

AC Members
Jun 19, 2007
Been running my 55g cichlid tank since july last year, now I want to jumpstart my niece's tank.

I've installed her brand new filter wich is for a 10 gallons in my tank to help install the right bacterias in it. I've figured I could run it in my tank for 2 weeks or so then install it into her new tank, check the water parameters and then add her fishes.

Good idea? Comments?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Been running my 55g cichlid tank since july last year, now I want to jumpstart my niece's tank.

I've installed her brand new filter wich is for a 10 gallons in my tank to help install the right bacterias in it. I've figured I could run it in my tank for 2 weeks or so then install it into her new tank, check the water parameters and then add her fishes.

Good idea? Comments?
Yes, that will help her tank start up. Just remember, you will not necessarily have enough bacteria to support a full load in her tank.

Boocho

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Yes, that will help her tank start up. Just remember, you will not necessarily have enough bacteria to support a full load in her tank.
I just got my new 120g and I was planning on seeding it from my 30g, but I was worried about having enough bacteria. What else can I do to make sure that there will be enough bacteria?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
seed the tank, then follow the steps of a fishless cycle in order to increase the amount of bacteria before adding fish.

bumpylemon

AC Members
May 3, 2008
how r these levels?

general hardness (GH) 60??? maybe my color is a little off. i thought it was 30 5 min ago.
ph 7.4
nitrite .5
nitrate 10

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store