My 125 gallon build a.k.a. in the deep end...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
Looks great

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Looks great!
That is simply amazing. Excellent work.
Looks great
Thanks. I want everyone to know that I really appreciate all the interest in this build and all the nice things people have had to say.

One of the finest stand builds I've seen. A little ironic that you've got a $200 fish tank sitting on what looks like a $2000 stand!
Thanks. I have stood back and thought that several times myself. This is how this whole thing started out, a "good deal" on a 125 gallon tank. I'm beginning to realize something, there's no such thing as a cheap 125 gallon tank. Heck, they could give the tank away for free knowing how much you'll spend on everything else...

Incredible...but how long until you decide that the stand is too big for the tank and need to upgrade to a taller one?
I have about 4-5 inches above the hood before I hit the basement ceiling. Nope, I'm done. Maybe if I ever move it, but I might have built the proverbial "boat in the basement." I honestly don't know if the base would ever go up the stairs. Oh well, I'm not going anywhere soon.

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008
"Right now the basement's a mess as I start to work on the aquarium stand. While I've looked at hundreds of stand build threads, I must give credit to Waywardson, I read all 150+ pages and took design cues inspiration from his fine work. That's a goal to shoot for..."

Thanks a bunch for the mention; your woodworking is amazing - fantastic, fantastic job!!!

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Here we go, now we've got a thread

Thanks a bunch for the mention; your woodworking is amazing - fantastic, fantastic job!!!
:bowing:

Thank you for your interest in my build, and all the hard work you put in documenting your amazing stand, hood, and tank. Hope some of the work I've done looks familiar.

If anyone is even considering building a stand and hood, or just want to check out an amazing planted aquarium, I highly recommend WaywardSon's build thread on his 150g. Its like an instruction manual. Well worth your time.

I'd love to pick your brain on about 50 topics. If you've got the time, I'll PM you. I'd love to hear what you think of your choices now. Probably save me some time and money.

As has been said before (I'm loosely quoting) "I may not be able to draw, but I sure can trace."

David

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Just ordered the lights! I went with a retrofit kit from ReefGeek. I picked an 80W 60" T5 High Output x 4 system. I got 2 Aquaflora bulbs and 2 Midday Sun bulbs. I plan on initially running them 2 bulbs at a time for 160 Watts over the tank, and can run the whole system as the plants come in if needed. I'll play with the height over the tank and see what works best.

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Well, I've been spending the last few days searching for the right combination of finish to put on the stand and hood. Think I'm close. Test pieces looked about right so I'm starting in on the doors. I'll have some photos later. 2 coats stain plus 2 coats poly makes this a frustratingly slow process. Dry times between coats means 2-3 days until final result. I'll finish the doors completely before moving on. Easier to replace than the whole thing!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store