how long can bacteria survive power outage

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
P.S. stuff

One bad thing about the canister thing. Is when the water sits in them, or just plain ol tubing. It doesn't take long for the uhhhh... you know that stuff that smells like sulfer, kinda like the smell you get from prime. Hydrogen sulfide/fate something like that?

I'm guessing thats not good for the bacteria?

You can do you own, simple, test to see what I'm trying to tell you about.

If you have a python, that'll work great. Or 7-8 foot of similar hose.

For (fishes) saftey sake. Get a bucket. Fill it with tank water. Now fill the hose with that water. Leave the hose ends submerged in the bucket.

8 or so hours later. drian the tube, with your nose next to the water comming out.
it'll smell like you stuck a bottle of prime under your nose.

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
I can say that I lost my power for 5 days last summer.
I did not touch the canister filter, the HOB filters, I threw all the bio-wheels into the fish tanks.

I quite feeding the fish while the power was out, but was getting trace amounts of ammonia and nitrites on all my tanks on day two.

Started doing a couple water changes on the tanks a day, till the power returned, to keep ammonia and nitrites as low as possible.

I did fear a mini cycle when the power returned. Lost the power on a Sunday, did not get power restored until thursday night. Friday morning, I tested the tanks, zero ammonia and nitrites on all my tanks, after one night of filtration. No mini cycles.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Twistersmom - That's excellent information to know. I knew you had to keep the media wet with tank water for the duration of the power outage.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
I did not touch the canister filter, the HOB filters, I threw all the bio-wheels into the fish tanks.

I quite feeding the fish while the power was out, but was getting trace amounts of ammonia and nitrites on all my tanks on day two.

Started doing a couple water changes on the tanks a day, till the power returned, to keep ammonia and nitrites as low as possible.

I did fear a mini cycle when the power returned. Lost the power on a Sunday, did not get power restored until thursday night. Friday morning, I tested the tanks, zero ammonia and nitrites on all my tanks, after one night of filtration. No mini cycles.
I agree with pinkertd. A+ for the day twister mom! that is great information to know. glad to hear someones comments that was not some sort of speculation.
-chris

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
Well yea, I guess my fish survived the 5 day power outage. With no water changes, sense were on a community well that needs power.

About 20*F outside. But luckily we had one little in the wall gas furnace thing, that kept the house bareable.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
Oooops and something else I done for the first day and a half, before I got the battery air pumps.

Dipped water out with a gallon pitcher, and poured it back in from about a foot and a half above the tank, about once an hour or so. While I was awake.
Supposedly was to help with oxygen in, co2 out.

So I guess so far. We can go 5 days without power. But still isn't saying how long the bacteria will live. Sense were keeping them alive by all of this other stuff, like oxygen in the water, fish etc.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh

Water changes should also add some DO back into the water as well as create some circulation for the bacteria. :thumbsup:

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
Alright. I couldn't stand the suspense. So I went wandering around.

Started getting frustrated, because I figured most of the good stuff to read was in PDF. And this poc comp doesn't get along with pdf's for some reason.

Then I came apon this here link, from another forum.
They sound alot like us with all the does too does not can too can not will not.... LOL

Anyyyyywayyyyy.....

Imagine a canister sitting around for 24 weeks!

Here ya go!

> > >http://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-7011.html < < <

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
So I guess so far. We can go 5 days without power. But still isn't saying how long the bacteria will live.

SMinNC - I think you did miss the important point:

I did fear a mini cycle when the power returned. Lost the power on a
Sunday, did not get power restored until thursday night. Friday morning, I tested the tanks, zero ammonia and nitrites on all my tanks, after one night of filtration. No mini cycles.
There was NO mini cycle which translates into:

Adequate amounts of bacteria remained alive after 5 days of no power with the biowheels in the tank water to continue normal filtration once filtration was resumed with electric power.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
And assuming Karl is correct about 1% a day...you'd be left with enough bacteria to cope for a while with regular water changes and once the conditions improve, the colony should recover quickly in no time...hence no noticeable mini-cycle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store