Planted Aquarium 180 Gal Stocking Options

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Gourami could be a good fit, their mouths are too small to damage the shrimp, they don`t tend to have a high prey drive and they mostly occupy the upper regions of the aquarium. you could pick Pearls they are one of the most peaceful trichogaster species.
Livebearers are also good, you could get a good breeding shoal of swords or mollys. Obviously Corydoras are the perfect cleanup crew for the bottom and come in lots of colors and patterns. You could get some dwarf cichlids like dwarf acaras, Kribensis, something like that?

I want to keep Geos so I kinda decided not to get shrimp in the end but I feel that geos would most likely be fine as they tend to go for plant matter and small food pieces that are in the substrate.

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
Like the name eh? ;) :).
Well, at the moment i stocked up on a few fish so im getting there. My tank is as follows.
12 cardinal tetras
10 flame/ember tetras
2 otto cats
6-10 cories. I cant count as they hide.
2 gold rams
2 blue rams
I also bought a few extra plants so i have like 20 - 25 amazon plants and 5 ... other plants with purple on the bottom of the leaf.
im probably going to add
2 borneo suckers
10 - 15 rummy nose tetras
Tomorrow.
my lfs advised against pearl/dwaft gouramies because of the shrimp.
What about adding one fighter fish aswell for the funzies? They wouls be alright
Other prospecting fish are
Bumblebees
Silver tip tetras
Green neon tetras
Harlequin rasboras

Any advice?

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Fighter would be fine, they love plants and tend to do well with tankmates who aren`t fin nippers (i`m looking at you Serpae tetras)
Harlequins are great I love mine, they shoal nicely are active and colorful and always have little full bellies after feeding. Sounds like you have a nice stock there, I hear the blue rams can be more sensitive to water quality so be aware of that.

oh also the plants you are refering to are probably ludwigia, they have a pinkish purple underside to the leaves, I have 2 large greens and 2 smaller bushier reds and both have a purplish pink underside to the leaves. they grow very very quickly.

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
But if greater census for the gouramis is that they wont hurt the shrimp population badly. I would love to get them. Being realistic, I expect to lose a few but i plan on getting 50. i hope they can reproduce in high numbers. So yeah. Thought i shud add that in.
cheers yall

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
The fighters will add some nice colour! Gunna check out some variations on the net now! Haha thats the plant. Im not to up to date with the scientific lingo. Its interesting. My newly introduced flame tetras are trying to school with the cardinals but they just disperse. So its great to watch. Hopefully they only school with their own species (colour) so it will form good watchin!.
Whats recommended numbers for impressive schools? I was thinking 15-25 of each kind.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah nice save there haha. Harlequins are good for shoaling I have 3 different species and they shoal together from time to time.
The peaceful gourami species like Honey gourami`s would be absolutely fine.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Like the name eh? ;) :).
Well, at the moment i stocked up on a few fish so im getting there...
Man.. I guess! You might want to chill for a bit to make sure everyone is disease and parasite free. That's a ton to add all at once.

My experience with anabantoids like bettas and gourami is, they pick at shrimp and snails. I do like a group of female bettas or a single male in a community tank.

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
I submit the idea of some Congo Tetras to consider as well. Perhaps rainbow fish would be compatible for your tank too, but I am frankly unsure on their reaction towards shrimp. Someone more knowledgeable here might be able to state if I am mistaken to recommend with reserves. I like your stocking so far. It must be very serene with tetras and plants. Perhaps you could post a couple pictures of your aquarium for us?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store