HELP! SAND BOA NOT EATING

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Is she warm enough? I'd try a live frog, sort of doubtful that sand boas usually eat mice in the wild.
Lots of frogs in the desert! Try a lizard. Also try maintaining a fluorescent light on the tank for at least 14 hrs a day. It's not about UV, but tricking the snake into thinking its summer. A short photoperiod signals winter and lessens activity levels of many herps.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Lots of frogs in the desert! Try a lizard. Also try maintaining a fluorescent light on the tank for at least 14 hrs a day. It's not about UV, but tricking the snake into thinking its summer. A short photoperiod signals winter and lessens activity levels of many herps.
I live in the desert and there are a lot of toads not many frogs. The only place you will find frogs is around water.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Sub was being sarcastic

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
Doesn't have to be a tree frog, any suitable size frog will do, I used to collect wood frogs for feeders occasionally. How big is the sand boa?
Ozymandius: hognose snakes are the only ones that eat toads; frogs are fair game for pretty much any species of snake.
ok first off all sand boas now adays in the US are CB so thay have been braught up on mice so really the type of pray should not be an issue, second the frog you used to collect did you freeze them to kill off the parasites thay may carry? if not you where probably exposing your snake/snakes to a risk of being exposed to potentially harmful parasites. so ya it's probably a seconddarry issue such as stress or temperature as i have already said it really isn't unheard of for them to go off feeding for a time.

and yes i know hognose are toad eaters but thay will also it frogs and western hog's will readily accepts mice it the eastern and southern hognose that onlly eat toads and frogs.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
I have a 10g with aspen chips. there is an under tank heater on the right side of the tank. the temp is around 95 degrees over the hotspot under the aspen and is around 90 up towards the surface. It gets around down to the 70's in the cool end of the tank.

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
ya that sounds about right, personally i would leave for alone (no touch or messing around in her tank) for a solid week then try a live fuzzy or pinky after that week is done and see if she eats, o and how have you been feeding her just dangling it in front of her or putting it in a separate container with her? edit never mind saw you tried both.

what i used to do with my kenyan is put the fuzzy in a tupperware container with him, the container would be in the tank and the lid was just places on so he could get out when he was done eating, then i would just leave him alone till he ate it. he was not a problem feeder though and was actually a little aggressive around feeding time.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
I know this is generally frowned upon, but i left the pinkie in her cage. And the following evening when i went to look for it it was gone. It couldnt have gotten out so im assuming she ate it. There was no bulge tho in her body..... i havnt messed with her in several days. Im gonna leave her alone til next week and try to feed her again and see what she does.

My gf from out of town had to buy her for me because none of my local stores carried them. The store seemed like a pretty nice place, she said when she went to pick up the snake the display tanks they had them in had no substrate...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store