Clownfish Breeding..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Saltwater2008

Registered Member
Mar 16, 2008
I am new to owning clownfish, but not saltwater fish. I wanted to know how to introduce my clownfish. I have a Percula Clownfish. I've read somewhere that its good if you try to breed a Percula with a Ocellaris Clown. I can get one. I have a list of questions below if anyone can answer before tomarrow cause I'm going out to buy another clownfish.

I have a picture to go with my post also so you can see whats going on in there. I have:

1-Percula Clownfish
1-Anenome
1-Shrimp

I have a small saltwater aquarium set up for them, cause from every online resource I've read they all said its best to seperate them in a smaller tank. I've done that, ready. I have to get the water a bit warmer also. The water flow is just perfect not to rough and not too weak. The water is clear with an excellent filter. (*)They are fed just enough and not over fed. So my questions are:

- How do I introduce my new clownfish to an older one?

- Can I get and can I breed a Percula Clown with a Ocellaris Clown?

- What should be the temperature of the water in the aquarium?

- What kind of food do the clownfish yet now and during process?

- How much lighting should be provided during the day & night?

- How long am I looking until the process begins?

- What other useful information could I use or know?

And most of all thanks to the users that can get a me some great answers. I really appreciate it, and its great to find a great forum.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
i'm only going to be able to answer few of your questions. first, you want to intro small size young clown because there are more chances of the older clown won't kill it if it's small. and last, it's not breeding clowns that's difficult but raising babies, because you'll have to not only raise babies but their food and the food for the food. it's recomended to QT the new fish for good 4 weeks because u don't want problems in your main tank that a new fish can possibly have.

Saltwater2008

Registered Member
Mar 16, 2008
Alright. Thats good. I found out its just better to have a Percula with a Percula and not try to mix them. It was recommended to get a seperate tank for the baby clownfish cause it saves them from other predators and their own parents, but than again they are alone. Still, I will do that if they do have the eggs. So I should get a smaller clownfish than cause this one is kinda big.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
You definately want to introduce a clown smaller than your current one. If they're in a tank on their own I'd suggest putting in a piece of PVC tubing so they can attach their eggs to it and it'll give them someowhere to hide.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
not that great. it's missing tons of basics. like you have to airate the eggs right before they hatch, as soon as you take them from the parents...you don't-they die before they hatch. things like how you feed the babies, how many times, and how much. things like the flow with the babies, also the tank walls have to be black and the bottom of the tank white...to name a few

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
not that great. it's missing tons of basics. like you have to airate the eggs right before they hatch, as soon as you take them from the parents...you don't-they die before they hatch. things like how you feed the babies, how many times, and how much. things like the flow with the babies, also the tank walls have to be black and the bottom of the tank white...to name a few

Why dont you add / ammend with your own article / experience? ;)

Am sure AC will benefit from more articles..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store