Check out this cold marine reef tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kingwintergreen

AC Members
Nov 20, 2007
Impressive, I've missed this thread. Have you had any problems/losses in this tank in the last few months? What/how/how much do you feed the Corynactis? What species are the anemones at the left end of the tank?

coldmarine007

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
New Zealand,(South Island).
Impressive, I've missed this thread. Have you had any problems/losses in this tank in the last few months? What/how/how much do you feed the Corynactis? What species are the anemones at the left end of the tank?
There have been no losses in the tank since it was established in January 2008....in fact some of the corralimorph colonies are starting to spread onto vacant spaces adjoining them.I simply feed them with very fine particles of marine fish flakes(couple of pinches twice a day),plus a very occasional feed of blendered clams.I simply drop this in front of the powerful vortech which blasts the food around the tank.....
The anemones to the left of the tank are a plumose and a striped....they get fed with small pieces of clam every week or so.... they still capture the flake particles though. All the anemones close on feeding and within the hour blossom into their full size once the food has been ingested. I do fairly regular water changes of around 10% every week,and rely on the skimmer to keep the water crystal clear with a ph of about 8.1.
I find it so much easier to maintain than all the tropical marine tanks I've had over the years...no kalkwasser or iodine etc to add,and very little hi-tech monitoring....much less of a worry!!

kingwintergreen

AC Members
Nov 20, 2007
Wow, if the rock looks that good in the bucket...
What is the water temp where this was collected? Do you know if there are any laws regulating commercial collection of this stuff?

coldmarine007

AC Members
Apr 15, 2008
New Zealand,(South Island).
Wow, if the rock looks that good in the bucket...
What is the water temp where this was collected? Do you know if there are any laws regulating commercial collection of this stuff?
Water temp.is between 12-15 degrees celsius....I collect from an area just 20 minutes drive away,so the live rocks are in the tank very quickly,and rarely have any die-off....the tank is at a constant 15 degrees celsius......I collect very carefully,and am very choosy about the rocks chosen....there are so many in the collection area that I hardly make a dent in the numbers....commercial collecting would neither be allowed nor desirable....anyway,the coldwater marine hobby is so small.!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
What do the stars feed on? You may end up having to replenish some of your stock with them in there... Absolutely gorgeous new stock, FWIW.

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
Wow, what an amazing tank! Your nudibranch is so *cute*-and he's doing ok? I've read that most of them are very difficult to keep in an aquarium. Since you do your own collecting and are picking out of the wild, have you had any interesting hitch hikers? I've never kept sw myself, but am quite interested. I always find the hitchhiker stories interesting. What resources do you use to id all of your finds?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store