Tanks Redo Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmm197

Go Braves!
Feb 1, 2009
Georgia
Tank Redo Questions

Hi all, I haven't been on here in a while, but I have a couple of questions. Here is my current situation. Right now I have condensed down all my tanks, I only have my main 75 gallon and one qt tank. Also, I went low tech on the 75 and I only have 4 32 watt t-8 shop light bulbs on it. And the substrate is pool filter sand. I have lots of narrow leaf java fern in there and one big amazon sword. The java fern is getting to be a real pain. breaking loose from what it is tied to and floating around ever where, and that type of thing.

Here is what I would like, I want to change the pool sand to eco-complete, get rid of the java fern, and go with all rooted plants that will grow in low light/tech conditions. The amazon sword has gone from about 6 inches to way too big for the 75 gallon tank in a year or so. So it seems like that would be enough light for crypts and other swords right? especially replacing the sand for a nutrient rich substrate.

So, my questions are. To achieve what I am wanting....

Would a t5ho 2x54 watt fixture be too much light? What about a 2x39, it would only be 36 inches and my tank is 48. but being that bright, it looks like the coverage wold stretch those 6 inches on each side. Or should I leave what I have alone? I don't want to do co2.

Is Eco-complete the best substrate for this situation?

Recommendations for rooted plants that will grow well in those conditions. I don't have to have them growing super fast, but I do want to see growth.

All other comments and recommendations are very welcome!

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
The lighting you have will grow crypts and swords as you have identified. It will also grow Vals, sag, anubias and probably Bylxa. Eco complete is an excellent substrate BUT you can do what you are planning and still use the pool filter sand by using root tabs or osmocote. Low daily doses of liquid ferts and a liquid carbon source and you really should be golden without much effort or change at all.

Best of luck,
ROY

jmm197

Go Braves!
Feb 1, 2009
Georgia
I thought about using root tabs. I just figured I'd get better growth with the ecocomplete. Do you think the growth rate would be about the same using the PFS and root tabs?

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I'd certainly give the root tabs a try before I went through the hassle of tearing down the entire tank to replace the substrate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store