Illegal Fish Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SpitRhyma

AC Members
Oct 16, 2007
California:
Pirahnas are illegal to Buy/Sell within the state.

I do believe that if you move into california with an existing pet pirahna, you're OK. Same rule applies to Ferrets as well...

Go Figure!
They sell Silver Arowanas for $12 here in California (Tats Tropical Ventura) -- are those native to California or something? I've also seen them at Pet House and a few other random walk-ins I don't remember...

They should be banned unless you can somehow prove you have a swimming pool or bigger to dedicate to them. People need to stop sticking big fish in small tanks. It's retarded!

It's like "hey look at my encarcerated pet fish".

At least some pets can come out of their cage...

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
Arrowanas aren't Pirahana, and most of these lists are designed to prevent invasions of non-native species into the environment of the state. If they were humane treatment lists, you'd never see Pacu in any store and you'd have to have a license to buy a goldfish.

MickRC

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Nebraska
Nebraska

Possession of any species of snakehead or any endangered animal/plant is prohibited. Release of any live animal, plant, viable eggs, sperm, gametes, or seeds from an aquarium into the wild is prohibited.

Legal possession of live native game fish or nongame fish is determined by the current regulations of the Fish & Game.

Sunburnt

AC Members
Mar 21, 2011
Wilmington NC (28401)
Real Name
Taylor
In North Carolina, it is unlawful to transport, purchase, possess or sell any live individuals
of piranha, “walking catfish” (Clarias batrachus), snakehead
fish (from the Family Channidae, formerly Ophiocephalidae),
white amur or “grass carp” (Ctenopharyngodon idella), black carp
(Mylopharyngodon piceus), swamp eel (Monopterus albus), red
shiner (Cyprinella lutrensis) rudd (Scardinius erythropthalomus),
round goby (Neogobius melanostomus), tubenose goby (Proterorhinus
marmoratus), ruffe (Gymnocephalus cernuus), Japanese
mystery snail (Cipangopaludina japonica), Chinese mystery snail
(Cipantopaludina chinensis malleata), red-rim melania (Melanoides tuberculatus).
Is there an updated list of fish for NC?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store