Off brand led lights

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
No idea. It looks to be very similar to others (such as the ones linked above) but it's hard to say. I don't know if there are many factories making these cheap lights, or if it's just one (or a few) and they give them many brands.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Yeah, I don't think I'd be buying the linked fixture, not enough information regarding output or spectrum for my tastes.

Not sure what tank you're looking to set up, but I'm a big fan of the finnex fixtures, I'm currently using a couple of 30" Ray2 Daylights, 1 on a 37g tank, and 1 on a 20L tank (With CO2 injection) I couldn't be happier.

I've used 'off brand' lighting over a reef tank without issues with the fixtures, but they were ones designed to be hung rather than attached to the tank (This link as an example) And haven't had issues with the level of output or the build quality... YMMV.

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
About 2 years ago I bought an Odyseea compact fluorescent strip light off the ebay website. The strip light was great and looked good. But, about 3 months with normal no abuse use, the ballast was totally corroded with the internal wiring being frayed and damaged. The tank was a simple 20 gallon high freshwater with plants. I would not recommend them.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
About 2 years ago I bought an Odyseea compact fluorescent strip light off the ebay website. The strip light was great and looked good. But, about 3 months with normal no abuse use, the ballast was totally corroded with the internal wiring being frayed and damaged. The tank was a simple 20 gallon high freshwater with plants. I would not recommend them.
I had a similar experience with their compact fluorescent lamps in regards to the ballast an wiring issues but mine lasted much longer that 3 months - more along the lines of two years so I was okay with it.

In regards to their LED systems (what I replaced the CF's with), I've had a good experience with them and it's been almost two years with no issues (knocks wood). They have numerous choices - just make sure you chose what's right for your application.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
My only experience with Odyssea, is with my 2yr old 48" twin-tube T5HO I keep on my 55g. It's been flawless and has run 6-8hrs/day for 2yrs now. I re-lamped it 6mo or so ago for about $20. I've seen it from expensive industrial fixtures on down.. No lighting fixtures are made the way they used to be.

I personally wouldn't bother with T5 anymore, given you can get LED for cheaper in some cases.

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
I used one of their T5 lights on a refugium - it was really not very well made, but never actually failed. They're LED lights are better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store