HELP PLEASE URGANT IMEDIATLY CRACKED 90LAQUARIUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

couchy

AC Members
Feb 8, 2011
i give my aquarium a clean a few days ago and there is a 4inch bcrack on the side of the aquarium from the bottom going up a bit, but it hasent cracked on the inside of the tank but on the outside, i have seeled it with all purpose glue, super g;ue and some stong clear celotape but because i cannot afford to buy a new tank or go through with buying a sheet of glass to cilacone it into the otherside of the tank which the shop told me to do because i havent a clue, and i got a new stock about 2 weeks ago and it cost me a bit in money to buy them also what do i do sell the fish because not all of them will fit into my 30L tank or get rid of both the tank and fish becuase i cant afford to uget a new tank and the fish will die in the 30l tank , and also because the water tempreture levels go up and down and at the moment wales are in a bit of a Cold snap and im worried just incase the tank gives in and decide to empty itself all over my livinroom to feed my cat the fish :( Help im not happy

nyuu444

Registered Member
Feb 8, 2012
hey man how big is the pleco and clown loach? if the fish are not to big and you have a decent set up in the 30L they should be fine there atleast until you get a new tank.

couchy

AC Members
Feb 8, 2011
my clownloaches are small and my pleco is only 4inches :)i dunno wa 2 do

tvsb

AC Members
Jan 9, 2012
Croatia
Real Name
Tomislav
The shop told you to do that because that is the only thing you can do, unfortunately.
You should go to a glazier, and buy a piece of glass the same size as the entire cracked glass plate. Take silicon and pull a few horizontal lines on the glass, and sticking a new over broken glass.
It would not cost a lot.
I wish you all the luck.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
the only way i would repair this tank would be to replace the cracked pane of glass...
You would have to completely drain and clean the tank, make sure it is clean and dry before you dry to make any repair.

Depending on the size you might be able to silocone a new piece of glass over it from the inside like tvsb says above, but you will need to compeltely seal all of the edges around the new pane of glass, to prevent water from gettin between the 2 panes of glass...
Its not the water leaking that will be an issue , but the pressure of the water creating a blow out situation.

Depending on the size of the tank, I would use glass that is thicker than what was originally used, but in my opinion if the stock glass is more than 1/4 inch (about 6mm) thick, I would probably replace the whole pane. I have seen HUGE drilled tanks, with patches siliconeed over the holes from bulkheads and stand pipes holding up fine.

to continue to use a cracked tank is just waiting for the inevetable. It is going to fail.
you will have a mess on your hands...

Also it might be important to determine WHY the tank is cracked.
was it hit with something?
Is it not level?
Whatever the cause you will want to prevent it from happening again, after the repair, or the new tank is in place.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
The shop told you to do that because that is the only thing you can do, unfortunately.
You should go to a glazier, and buy a piece of glass the same size as the entire cracked glass plate. Take silicon and pull a few horizontal lines on the glass, and sticking a new over broken glass.
It would not cost a lot.
I wish you all the luck.
I wouldnt use silicone, I think I would use epoxy that is designed to adhere to glass. Much stronger I would think.

tvsb

AC Members
Jan 9, 2012
Croatia
Real Name
Tomislav
new piece of glass over it from the inside like tvsb says above
I was actually thinking about outside of the tank, but i agree with you, only wright way to fix this is change the whole plate :thm:
only reason why i sugest that is because i was thinking that he don't have possibility to move fish to another tank, and that this is urgent

I wouldnt use silicone, I think I would use epoxy that is designed to adhere to glass. Much stronger I would think.
I will not use nothing but silicone for glass ! no epoxy for this kind of fixing !

Last edited:

GMYukonon24s

AC Members
Feb 9, 2008
MICHIGAN
When my 110g seal broke I used a rubbermaid container to store my fish it worked great for the time I need to reseal my tank and would do it again if I needed to. I would use silicone too.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
You could make a small pond fairly cheap, to keep them in until the day you can repair the tank or afford a new one. Would last years, so you could always have an indoor pond with whatever in it, when you're done. ;)

Materials:
2x4's
1 sheet of plywood the size of the foot print
a piece of pond liner
some screws

Gwen925

AC Members
Aug 30, 2009
Man, I'd get the fish out of there and into a huge rubbermaid tub, or sterilite tub or something like that. That thing is a disaster waiting to happen. My sister used a big sterilite tub from WalMart to put her fish in, temporarily, one time in a similar situation. She moved the filter over and any decor and plants she could move, too. Everything stayed alive and ok.

I'd really be worried about your tank crashing and dumping tons of water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store