125 gallon questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
An ornate bicher will outgrow a 125, stick with a smaller species. Ropefish aren't a good mix with cichlids, or much else for that matter. A tiretrack eel would go well enough with the other fish, just make sure the top is tightly covered. I'd add a group of silver dollars, they'd grow out nicely along with the cichlids.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
An ornate bicher will outgrow a 125, stick with a smaller species. Ropefish aren't a good mix with cichlids, or much else for that matter. A tiretrack eel would go well enough with the other fish, just make sure the top is tightly covered. I'd add a group of silver dollars, they'd grow out nicely along with the cichlids.
I like Silver Dollars, but how are they with plants? Tiretrack eels are nice too, if I get one what size should he be? Also, what's a good feeding plan for one?

I'm stopping feeding the wafers in the 125, the JD likes to pick up the ENTIRE WAFER in his mouth and travel around with it to eat, plus the Jurupari have started taking flakes and are starting to eat pellets.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Well, silver dollars are a no, they destory plants, and I want to keep this tank planted. I've also found online that the eels like to uproot plants and decorations when they burrow, so I'm ruling them out unless others have had sucuess keeping them in a planted tank.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Err, cichlids are notorious for uprooting (and sometimes eating) plants, one reason my 125 has plastic. I do have the surface about 2/3 covered with Salvinia, it helps with nitrates and provides some snacks for the silver dollars and severums. The JD will certainly rearrange the tank, not sure about Geo's.
I had a tiretack eel years ago. It didn't burrow in the gravel, just dug itself a spot out under a large rock and hung out there.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Have you looked into any loaches for a bottom dweller?
I'm thinking about clowns, but I figured that I'm going to have to buy them big to avoid dempsey aggression when he outgrows them. What about a school of 4-5 weather loaches? The JD was fine with my lone weather loach in a 55 with much less cover, there was occasional nipping but no damage or "hunting" by the JD, usually the loach would derp it's way into the JD's territory and then get nipped.

I'm thinking about using egg crate in parts of the tank to keep the plants in place, I'll put it under the substrate and run the plant through a whole or two in it. A friend said that this stopped his plants from being uprooted (125 with oscars and convicts). I think this may mean no burrowing fish, so that would exclude weather loaches and tiretrack eels.

Ropefish look pretty cool, do they dig? (I didn't see anything online about them doing so) They also seem to be hard to feed with a big obnoxious JD and then the Jurupari in the tank with them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store