nitrogen cycle stuck?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Great advice and input Byron, thanks. In regards to the bleach......2 reasons why my simple brain thought it would be best to use, #1) If there was some weird bacteria or fungus that caused my crash, the bleach would kill it. #2) If some small amount of bleach was left behind, it would kick start the cycle process. I guess it would of been better to use new sand. I'm a cheapskate and thought this would be ok. Lesson learned. I will get some new sand. BTW the sand I bought was pool filter sand from a place on Lougheed highway in Maple Ridge. In regards to the decorations, they were all air dried outside before placing in the tank.
It seems a good idea to replace the sand. A lot of work, I know, I have replaced the gravel with sand substrates in five of my aquaria a year or so ago. I use Quikrete Play Sand from Home Depot. At $8 something a 25kg bag it is very inexpensive, and it replicates the sands in the Amazon. From your photo I am assuming the pool sand you used is white; it is best not to use white sand for reasons of the fish and aesthetics (viewing).

With my test kit, it shows .5 ppm ammonia (or ammonium) from the tap, 0 nitrites. I have not tested Nitrates from the tap.
OK, this settles the ammonia issue. This level is not bad, frankly I wouldn't worry about it. But I would recommend a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia so there is no sudden influx at water changes. Most achieve this by changing ammonia to ammonium, which is fine.

So back to one of the initial questions on cycling...with this info, nothing seems to be going wrong in your tank with nitrites/nitrates.

My pH was at 6.4 and now seems to be around 6 or lower.
This is fine with soft water fish. Depending what you do re plant fertilizing (the "hard" mineral issue I referenced previously) and water changes (I do half the tank every week) it will or should stabilize.

I had 4 pepper corys and 4 julliis. I lost all pepper corys and 2 julliis.
This may have been bleach from the sand, as the pepper are fairly hardy corys. The julii are likely not Corydoras julii but C. trilineatus which is what I see around here labelled julii. But that doesn't matter, both are nice little corys. If they really were C. julii, they will be wild caught which means care with water parameters especially during acclimation.

So right now water parameters are = pH of approx. 6, 1 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate
inhabitants = 8 bleeding heart tetras and 2 jullii corys. 6 red amazon swords and 3 bunches of java fern.
These numbers are fine. As I said previously, ammonia is ammonium so not an issue and this will likely sort itself out. I still feel some of this is from the bleach residue and new sand will deal with this.

Let me know if I can offer further.

Byron.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
It seems a good idea to replace the sand. A lot of work, I know, I have replaced the gravel with sand substrates in five of my aquaria a year or so ago. I use Quikrete Play Sand from Home Depot. At $8 something a 25kg bag it is very inexpensive, and it replicates the sands in the Amazon. From your photo I am assuming the pool sand you used is white; it is best not to use white sand for reasons of the fish and aesthetics (viewing).

OK, this settles the ammonia issue. This level is not bad, frankly I wouldn't worry about it. But I would recommend a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia so there is no sudden influx at water changes. Most achieve this by changing ammonia to ammonium, which is fine.

So back to one of the initial questions on cycling...with this info, nothing seems to be going wrong in your tank with nitrites/nitrates.

This is fine with soft water fish. Depending what you do re plant fertilizing (the "hard" mineral issue I referenced previously) and water changes (I do half the tank every week) it will or should stabilize.

This may have been bleach from the sand, as the pepper are fairly hardy corys. The julii are likely not Corydoras julii but C. trilineatus which is what I see around here labelled julii. But that doesn't matter, both are nice little corys. If they really were C. julii, they will be wild caught which means care with water parameters especially during acclimation.

These numbers are fine. As I said previously, ammonia is ammonium so not an issue and this will likely sort itself out. I still feel some of this is from the bleach residue and new sand will deal with this.

Let me know if I can offer further.

Byron.
The pool filter sand I bought was brown like on the beach, I liked it. In any regard, it will be replaced.

After I replace the sand I will post to let you know how it went.

The whole idea of this tank is an Angel Tank. I obviously do not want to add the angels until I get the tank set up properly.

Cheers.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
Update - I had no time to change the sand, was getting ready for a much needed week long vacation. I checked the parameters after I got back and the results = 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate, 6 pH.
Interesting. I wasn't expecting that but I'm happy. :) I will say that before I went for vacation, I vaccumed the sand really good, (approx. 40% water change), filled the tank and "primed" it. ;).
Maybe I dodged a bullet and won't have to replace the sand.
Will keep an eye on it and eventually be able to add my angels. :clap:

MilitantPotato

Got Pleco?
Apr 11, 2006
St. Louis, Mo
www.plecofanatics.com
First, congrats on turning around a deadly tank!
Silly question though, but you're adding prime (dosing for your total tank volume and ideally chlorine/chloramine levels) before adding tap water yes?

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
First, congrats on turning around a deadly tank!
Silly question though, but you're adding prime (dosing for your total tank volume and ideally chlorine/chloramine levels) before adding tap water yes?

Thanks ...... and yes, I am.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store