Neon's getting eatin....Which fish is the culprit??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
The neons probably died and were then eaten. I have had rotten luck recently with neons, and a day after adding new stock, all of them had vanished. This has happened several times. Sometimes I found partially eaten floaters, other times they just simply vanished.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I gave up on Neons years ago. yeah, they are beautiful and inexpensive, but I could never keep them alive for a reasonable length of time, regardless of tankmates. I have had much better long term success with Cardinal Tetras, which are actually prettier, and will live for years if acclimated carefully.

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
hmm weirdest thing happened today...

Got home from work, lights were off in the tank. I counted 4 fish..so i turned the lights on to search for bodies ect...

After looking around, I saw a small blue head poking out from the java moss i have around my rocks (hair net wraps the moss to the rocks)

So i figured he go stuck in the net!

So i move the moss around and he pops out....Then i see a big Black skirt tetras head poking up out of the moss, apparently actually stuck...I get him out and search the other rocks, A few more tetras come out of hiding..

So as of today i am 2 tetras less....and im wondering why...This black skirt tetra forced his way into the moss...other than to chase a tasty morsel while they were sleeping....Is that a pretty good guess?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You said you have shrimp.....Maybe the fishes are after the baby-shrimp larva??

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
"used to have shrimp " lol. I had 5 amano in that tank, theyve all dissapeared as well. But ive seen those lamp eyes messing with them before.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
The skirt could have gotten spooked and charged blindly into the moss. Or it may have been after another fish. Large skirt tetras can get a little nasty, or at least that has been my experience keeping them years ago.

I've always had rotten luck with neons, and I've had people tell me that they are "very fragile". My recent experience with them has been that they are usually the first fish picked on by tankmates, often chased, harassed, and nipped to exhaustion and death. I have a heavily planted/decorated community tank, with lots of hiding places, so I don't know why it's only the neons that are picked on.

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
^ ya i get what ya mean. These skirts, and lamp eyes have been **** near indestrucable lol. Even cory's do really well ive noticed and your right they always do seem to be the first picked on

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store