125 gallon questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Royals are Panaques, aka aquatic termites. They eat wood and poop sawdust, make an even bigger mess than most pleco's. Green phantoms are algae/veggie eaters, essentially big green BN.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Royals are Panaques, aka aquatic termites. They eat wood and poop sawdust, make an even bigger mess than most pleco's. Green phantoms are algae/veggie eaters, essentially big green BN.
sounds like I'll go for a green phantom then, hopefully I can find some at PVAS or online.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Ned's has blue and green phantoms. Around $50.
I just found a L094 for a very good price from a member on here, I'm going to be adding a Altifons eartheater and a L094 to the 125 and my stocking will be complete.

Do you guys think I could add them straight to the tank, or should I do some serious rearranging or divide the tank to gradually introduce them? The altifrons is bigger than the JD, and there has been very little to no aggression amongst the fish now.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I'm planning on adding the altifrons and L094 on thursday. To test aggression I added in 3 giant danios today and the JD has ignored them so far. They look awesome in the tank, if I had beefier filtration I'd think about keeping a nice school of them. I'll leave them in the 125 so I can watch for aggression, and move them to the 55g when the altifrons and the L094 are added.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Didn't end up getting the L094, will move my rubber pleco in there for the time being. At lights out the other day I saw the JD go after the Danios, but he gave up after awhile. I'm seeing aggression from the largest Jurupari towards 2 of the other 3 Jurupari. He leaves the next biggest one alone, and picks on the smaller ones. Is it possible that I have 3m and 1f? Is it possible to even sex these guys now?

Plants are doing alright, the water sprite had a pretty big die off but has come back in full force (grown like crazy the last week). My swords lost some of their bigger leaves, but have grown a ton of new ones. Wisteria was doing great, but has stalled in growth the last week. Crypt Lutea is doing amazing (like always), and the apongetons are doing good too. I've noticed that the apongetons have really only grown 1-2 new leaves, but 2-3 of the existing ones have shot up a good 6" in a week or so.

Feeding wise I've started feeding 6 days a week, 2 days Omega 1 flake, 2 days NLS pellets, 1 day frozen bloodworms, and 1 day of Omega 1 flakes and a couple hikari wafers (not the algae ones) I've noticed the JD start to darken up from this, although his pale/dark color seems to depend on his mood. I've noticed that his pectoral fins are transparent like normal JD's, but are tinted yellowish.

I'll try to get a vid of the tank soon, but I can't find my Ipod right now. I may add a couple (2-3) more giant danios just for kicks, they'll end up in the 55 once the JD and Jurupari get bigger.

RBoydIV

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Just realized i was reading an old post haha. Guess my two cents are a little late.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
That's alright lol. If I get another canister it will be a marineland, just so that I don't end up having to buy a million different types of media. Will try to get some pics tonight, the largest Jurupari is getting REALLY aggressive. After staring at the tank for almost 24 hours now I'm dying to get some more hardscape in there.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Tank update time: I saw the tank for the first time in 4-5 days, expecting the worst. However, my apongeton decided to flower! It sent a big green stalk thingy up to the surface, and that has expanded above the water until it touched the lid. The stem has these white thingys coming out of it on the above water part, which is pretty cool.

I picked up some API root tabs, which I'm going to try on my water sprite and swords, which have been teetering back and forth (They die a bit, then grow back, then die a bit). My crypts are still doing awesome, for whatever reason crypt lutea loves me.

All the fish are doing good, the only aggression is still from the dominant Jurupari, but he doesn't dare bother the JD who's about 3.5" now, and getting bigger by the second.

Any reccomendations for root tabs, and do you guys think a snail species like MTS would help clean my sand? (It's not dirty, just paranoid about anearobic pockets)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store