Siamese Algae Eater (SAE) questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Many folks confuse the eating of algae our human eyes don't see with the actual eating of the plant. I have always had SAEs and java moss and nobody in my tanks has ever done me the favor of eating any of my moss.

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
for anyone interested im gonna be making an internet order for them in a week or 2. shipping is expensive so anyone in nyc interested in some and wouldnt mind splitting shipping, pm me.

jaysen

Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
i was told mixed stories about sae's eating bba?( black beard algae). some say they eradicate it and others say they just graze a little and do nothing to control it. anyone have any experiences to contribute?

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
The love the stuff.. They may not eradicate it completely, as that would be really hard for them to do, however they do keep it basically gone from view.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
the can eat it off anything, jay. They have done so in my tank. Make sure though that the plant in question isn't in danger of dying before they get to it. I had to push mine to eating it though when I first got them because the tank went about of month with them in it and not touching it. I put the tank in shut down, did everything as I normally do with lights and all except I didn't feed them for a couple days, maybe 3. After that, continue to feed the tank as normal, don't overindulge because of the 3 day no feeding. Soon, you will begin to see them making a change.

jaysen

Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
i just got 12 a few days ago but they havent touched the black beard algae. how long does it normally take? i dont feed them algae wafers or any other vegetarian foods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store